Bubble wand needed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubble wand needed?

So... in my 55 gallon I'm considering getting some sort of bubble wand/stone etc. (anything to make my fish happier/healthier)

Do I NEED one? I have a Fluval 306 with the intake at one end and the outtake at the other which seems to provide a moderate current throughout the tank (rasboras love swimming against it). I don't think there are "dead spots" and no one is at the top gasping for air.

I want something a bit more subtle than obnoxious. I was thinking maybe the bubble ring and not a full "curtain"... not sure how LED lights would work, kinda like the idea of blue lights so that I can see stuff in the tank when the main light is off.

What are you opinions?

Edited to add more questions:

So should the bubble thing be on all day? Is there usually a separate timer for the light portion or is it always on?
    Last edited by gingerone; 04-15-2013, 09:19 AM.
    Gingerone's Tanks:
    55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
    20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
    Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

I personally prefer the bubble wands just to keep the surface disturbed as that's where your oxygen comes from. I prefer wands rather than stones, as they spread it out more.
    ~Erin
    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

I have a 21 inch aqueon blue LED flexible bubble bar.... it is AMAZING!
      It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
      As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I have one of the bubble wands in my tank and enjoy the effect of it, I have often thought of getting a few more to do the entire back wall of my tank with it.
        -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
        If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
        Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Originally posted by pirahnah3 View Post
          I have one of the bubble wands in my tank and enjoy the effect of it, I have often thought of getting a few more to do the entire back wall of my tank with it.
          I thought about that myself BUT after having the bubble wand to close to the back glass...lol no way...

~Anthony

Comment

I have bubble wands in all my bigger tanks. I keep them on all the time. The fish, especially my cories, seem to love playing in the current. I was looking at the LED ones, but the price scared me away for now. But they are on my wish list for future purchases. I like the way it looks in Anthony's pictures.
            __________________________________________________ __________
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I have my bubbles about 5-6 inches away from the back glass

~Anthony

Comment

I have sponge filters in three tanks, so those take care of the aeration for me. You don't have to have a wand per se, before I got the sponge filters I just had little airstone spheres; just enough to make some bubbles and disturb the surface. For me it's more so there isn't a film on the surface than oxygen exchange, as I have HOBs as well. (Also two of those tanks have bettas in them haha.)

However my 55 gallon doesn't have any sort of airstone or anything, and it's just fine.

Comment

Well I ordered the Air pump online but I haven't yet found a wand or whatever that I want to commit to for the price lol.
                  Gingerone's Tanks:
                  55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4

Comment

Just a ball rather than a full want is about $1 at petsmart

Comment

Originally posted by gingerone View Post
                      Well I ordered the Air pump online but I haven't yet found a wand or whatever that I want to commit to for the price lol.
                      21" Aqueon Blue LED bubble bar 30 dollars + tax...worth every penny...

~Anthony

Comment

I go about pretty much like Zumi, I have either sponge filters or a small stone in my tanks, I like the idea that they are on so if my filter quits or something the fish won't suffocate. I buy the 50 cent discard a stones and they last like 6 months.
                        __________________________________________________ _____
                        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

The bubble wand tubing on mine is replaceable

~Anthony

Comment

I've been looking at that bar Anthony... on amazon it's about $30.. but I'm hoping maybe it will either go down in price or maybe my local Petsmart will have a sale on them.
                            Gingerone's Tanks:

Comment

PetSmart has them for 39.99 here... I went to a different pet store and got it for 30

~Anthony

Comment

Working...
                              X