San Francisco Bay Shrimp Hatchery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Francisco Bay Shrimp Hatchery

I bought this for $7.99 at my LFS. It is a simple black box with a hole in the top. You add the salt and shrimp eggs to the bottom. There is a small clear container with a hole in the center of the top. You fill that with fresh water and invert it over the opening in the black box. When the shrimp hatch, they go toward the light in the clear container and all you have to do is take off the container and upend that into your tank. No gallon jugs, no air hose, no rinsing required. It probably won't be good if you want massive amounts of shrimp, but it is working perfectly for me to feed the fry with. I am very happy with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	141624
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

That's very interesting looking!
    -Jonathan

Comment

that is interesting. I would love to see some more pictures of it.
      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow.
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I have one of these too and it works pretty well! It's really great if you don't have time to set up a traditional hatchery.

Comment

Here are a couple more pictures of the hatchery. The black box is approx. 4" square and 4-1/2" high. I fill it with water up to the line inside the box, put in about 1/4 tsp. of aquarium salt and 1/8 tsp. shrimp eggs. After the eggs soak up the water, I fill the small container with fresh water, usually right out of the tank it's next to, and invert it over the opening on top. I like it because it is nice and simple and even I can do it

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	137728

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	137729
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I just picked one of these up today... 12 at my LFS... :-) Premixed packages too
              It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
              As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I hope it works as good for you as it does for me. I had a tube of shrimp eggs and some aquarium salt so now that the packets are gone, I put a heaping 1/4 tsp. salt and about 1/8 tsp. eggs in the box and it works out great. I keep the box right next to the fry tank. I upend the little container right into the tank and then refill it with the tank water.
                Last edited by oscarsbud; 03-24-2013, 06:42 AM. Reason: Grammar!!
                Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Sounds like that may be a better idea
                  It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                  As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

What can I say - I'm too lazy to walk the 5' into the kitchen to refill the container . And I also figure I am using treated water so it is better.
                    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Working...
                    X