37 Gallon Top Fin Starter Aquarium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37 Gallon Top Fin Starter Aquarium

I struck out in my search for a new fish tank on CL so we went to Petsmart to look at them. I ended up purchasing the Top Fin 37G Starter Aquarium. It came with the tank, filter, hood, LED lights, heater, a strip thermometer, a small water sample bottle, a net and a sample packet of fish food (Tetra, I think, I can't find it). The setup cost $149.99 plus tax.

The tank is 30"L x 22-1/2"H x 12" deep. It is a nice sturdy tank. The hood is a very flimsy one-piece job. There is a cutout in the back just big enough for the filter on one side and a small slot on the other side for cords. There is a small slot in the front for dropping in food. The slot is directly over the center brace so if you are feeding live food or flakes you will probably have to clean it up every time. And to do any maintenance on the tank you have to take the hood completely off. I plan on getting a glass top for it and better lights.

The heater is a 200W heater that should work fine. The filter is a Top Fin 40 rated for 200 GPH. In my opinion it isn't enough flow for a tank that size. And the intake only goes a little better than halfway down the side so unless you have a powerhead or bubble wand in there it isn't going to be enough circulation to move the debris from the bottom. And to replace the filter with anything but what is there, you will have to cut the hood to make room for it. And the filter is NOISY. That one filter makes more noise than all 3 canisters and the other 3 HOBs put together.

I am only going to have my baby angels in it for a while and then after they're gone I will put one mated pair of angels in there. If I was going to put any more than that in there, I would replace it immediately. As it is, I will just wait for a sale to replace it.

So that is my impression of that particular setup. Not bad, but if I had paid better attention, I probably wouldn't have gotten it. But it will do for now.

It came with an instruction manual that told you to use dechlorinated water and that after 24 hours you could add fish (shudder) - nothing about cycling the tank. It did say to make sure you acclimated the fish and it even said to float the fish for 15 minutes, then open the bag and spend the next 15 minutes adding tank water to the bag every 5 minutes. Then don't put the bag water into the tank - pick the fish out and put just the fish in the tank. They at least had that part right.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Sweet love new tanks lol... Soooo where the pictures? Doesn't matter if it's not setup lol...
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Nice! What kind of LED light came with it? I was thinking about getting that kit a couple months ago but decided against it because I wanted plants.

Comment

Are you setting it up planted, dirted? Looking forward to pictures
        Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

It's dirted with the same black diamond and playsand mix as Sammy's tank has on top. It's kind of blah looking right now because there are only a couple of plants in it so far and just one flower pot. I have no idea what kind of lights they are. There are 5 sets strung together. Each set has 3 white lights in it. I don't think it is really going to be good enough for many plants. I still haven't started cycling it because I am waiting until I do a water change on the big tank on Sunday. Then I will take one of the cartridges out of the HOB on that tank and use it on the new one.
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I've found with most kits, you end up spending more money because you end up replacing 90% of what you get!
            ~Erin
            10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Originally posted by Raerianna View Post
              I've found with most kits, you end up spending more money because you end up replacing 90% of what you get!
              I know you're right about that. If I could have just picked up a similar sized or slightly bigger tank alone, that's what I would have done. But for what they were charging just for tanks I got the whole setup, even if it isn't the best. I do have a larger sized filter I can put on there. I just have to get a new impeller for it.
              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

There was a starter kit at PetSmart here for 159.99 but it was a 55g
                It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Working...
                X