Zoo Med 501 Canister Filter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoo Med 501 Canister Filter

I bought this for Dustin's 20 gallon because he wanted a small canister filter due to the large amount of plants we'd be putting in. The filter is rated up to 30 gallons. http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/En...65&SearchID=19

Pros: Small foot print, doesn't hang on tank like another mini canister filter, comes with media, quiet.
    Cons: Extremely difficult to take off the lid, no way of closing off the flow, parts feel flimsy, if unplugging, siphon continues due to no stop on the intake and output. The water was always cloudy, not a lot of room for media. Filter has broken down after about a month of use.

While it may be great for smaller tanks like possibly a 10g or a 5g, I would not recommend this for anything larger. The particulate load of a planted tank is just too high for this to keep up with.
    ~Erin
    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Thank you for sharing your experience with this filter.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Thank you indeed, thou i will add it would not be hard to insert an inline valve on the suction or intake side of the filter.
      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Working...
      X