No announcement yet.

Review: Grech GW-303 (SunSun knock off)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: Grech GW-303 (SunSun knock off)

I had been looking at these filters for a while now, but had never really needed one. The really cheap price and lack of info on them had me a little uneasy, but what reviews there actually were on there, we're great.

When one of the AquaClears on my 40 breeder busted (impeller shaft pushed through the plastic on the impeller. I'm sure the resident snails had something to do with that!), I stuffed a spare impeller in there, and before I could talk myself out of it, went to the listing and clicked buy it now. I always knew having an eBay account would come in handy XD

Took about a week to get here, from California. Not bad for a car trip! They gave me FedEx, though, rather than Snail Mail (silly Snail Mail, nobody loves you). FedEx even got to my house several hours earlier than they usually do!

The filter arrived in a made up box, built snuggly around its existing box. It was packaged very well (all the extra bits were wrapped and in an additional box placed next to the filter itself to keep it stable and snug. Nothing was broken, or looked jossled in anyway. Very glad to not have to deal with something broken, as I didn't get to play with it until after the 24 hour thing.

A lot of reviews complain about the flimsiness of the parts, but it's really not bad. I actually rigged mine up to avoid using the skimmer, and just used two extensions, even though it's not built to go like that lol The hardest part was getting the spray bar to stay together when I was installing everything in the tank. Once you leave it alone, though, it's fine.

I had a bit of a time getting it to prime, simply because I cut the output tube but not the intake tube. So, there was a dip, and then a rise in the tube, giving the water a bit of a workout to get into the filter when I was pushing the little pump thing. You are supposed to push it a time or two and it just fills up, but I figured out that I had to hold the tube up some to get rid of the rise and give it a few more pumps to get the water level up in the tubes. Once I did that, i plugged it in, and away we went!

It started right away, and works great. I love it already! I've got the spray bar on the side of the tank, and I have to angled up, so that its blowing at the surface. The intake is on the opposite side, about 2/3 of the way down into the tank. I actually had to use one of the intake suction cups on the back of the tank to help keep the thing upright, as the tubing is very heavy compared to the poor cheap plastic the parts are made out of lol

There is tons of room for media in there, naturally. I actually didn't even stuff it to its full potential. The bottom and too are full, but the middle just has ammo-carb sandwiched in between two pads. So far I like it like this, but it's only been running over night.

Over all, I give this thing 5 out of 5 stars (can I give it 6 out of 5??). Very happy with the price, how easy it was to put together (even with the suckish instructions, which you really shouldn't even bother with lol), runs with zero noise whatsoever, let's you use whatever media you want, and, because I still can't over it, THE PRICE. I've already decided to get another for the 50 gallon, that's how happy I am with it.

Pros:
    -price. Starting at $51, you can't go wrong! There are also larger models, and ones that come with extra media.
    -easy to put together (don't read the instructions and you'll be fine. They are good for giggles though!)
    -super quiet
    -loads of room for media

Cons:
    -plastic parts are a little fussy, but since I managed not to break them, it's really not that bad
    -could use a few more suction cups, but you can easily make do in a shorter tank. If you have a taller tank, you'd ought to buy some more, though. But just the suction cups. There are plenty of clips.

Ill take some pictures and add them in a bit
    Last edited by Akari_32; 05-17-2013, 06:53 AM.

Thanks for the review Akari I have a couple of these running 5-12 months and I agree with you on all points, if I am in need of a canister, these are the go to for myself, you just can't beat the price! Cheaper than some HOB's!
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Cheaper than most of the ACs, that's for sure! It's $30 bucks for an AC20 these days :/

I think it's funny that they give you all those clips, and four suction cups. Makes no sence at all LOL

Comment

They are different size clips, one set holds the piping further off the tank wall than the second set.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Yeah, but still. How about some suction cups to go along with them? XD

Comment

Thanks for the review!

I FINALLY set mine up the other day. I bought the 303 with UV and media for like 70 or 80... I don't remember. I have mine filled to the rim with fiber pad things from Drs Foster and Smith, and my bioball/ring/matrix biomedia combo. I hope too much media isn't hazardous.

I agree with all of the above, the instructions were comical! I'll admit, I was nervous cause there were parts that I didn't know what they were, and I had a time fiddling with the tubing to get it to fit. The parts feel flimsy, but I think that's just the way the material feels, I've messed with something that felt the same and it turned out very durable. (hopefully it's the same)

Am I safe to ask you about some of the parts? you mentioned a skimmer... Is that the (according to the manual) "Dirtiness entrance"? whats that for? And did yours come with a "biochemical cotton" (again, according to the manual)

Comment

I don't think the AquaTops come with the skimmer attachment Ziggi. They have the tee fitting but no skimmer if I recall correctly.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Yes, the skimmer is the "dirtiness entrance". The little thing that looks like a fire sprinkler head.

Thats what it's supposed to be anyway, I guess. If you used it, the water level would have to be way down, and that would just look ugly LOL And also a hazard for small fish XD

i don't know what it called the pads I got, but they're just white fiber pads.

Comment

Thanks for writing a review.
                  Christine

Comment

HA I saw that thing detached, couldn't figure out what it was supposed to attach to or why so I tossed it back in the box (I JUST looked at the manual for the name of it! Somehow I missed it earlier) Well good, but that answers my other question of what the knob on the side of the intake was ... need to take that off sometime. I have Duckweed, that'd be a mess with the skimmer!

Comment

I just put two extension tubes on the intake, rather than one and the one with the attachment for the skimmer.

That would be a serious mess XD

Comment

Yeah, I'm gonna do that soon.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Where did you get this? And what was the damage?... Got a link too
                          It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                          As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Here ya go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/75-Gallon-Ex...item20c69c0ec3

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

eBay, $51-something

Comment

Working...
                              X