Taking the plunge into canisters!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking the plunge into canisters!

Now, I already have an old hand-me-down Magnum 350. It moves the water really well, but I don't feel comfortable using it as the only, or primary, filter on my 50 gallon Goldfish/pleco tank. That, plus it needs a new magnet. Might as well spend the extra money and get a new, better filter. I'm looking at AquaTops, thanks to Rogue's thread down below that linked to a wonderfully priced one. I'm looking at the $75 one, the next size up, by the same seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Gallon-E...40771069635%26

I'm considering the extra 25 bucks because I'd love to upgrade the 50 to a 75 in the near future. AND, because its the same as this one, only much cheaper XD

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-CF400U...anister+filter

The seller has good rep, and has sold many of them. I'm pretty comfortable making this purchase. A little twitchy, as I always am ordering on line, but you know... lol

Before I go for it, does anyone have anything to add? Maybe a better alternative? Cautions, thoughts, tips/ticks to working the thing? Open to anything! I'm just excited about getting a new "toy"!

What took you so long, silly?? :;smack I have an AquaTop canister and love it. Tons of space for media, so I can steal some to start a new tank. UV sterilizer to get floating ichs and algae. Plenty decent flow, I actually had to aim it at the wall at the beginning because it was too strong, even all the way on the other side of the tank! Now that a layer of goo has build up, I turned it back around

Comment

They are basically the same thing IMO.

I have the Aquatop version, but with purchasing from Aquatop, you also get the customer service if anything happens. Just my opinion.

Comment

Bills took me so long LOL Plus, I make a 70 mile trip both ways twice a week. Have to feed the car, you know! Gas prices just keep going up and up! @.@ (though apparently we are at the low end of the prices. Still too high for me!).

Like I said, I have that Magnum, but its broken lol I'd use it on the 20 long if ever felt ambitious enough to deal with it again. Its noisy and hard to put together, is all lol

Which size do you have, and on what size tank?

Comment

I have the cf-400UV on a 55 gallon tank. Definitely plenty of filtration!

Darn cars, they're gluttonous things

Comment

When I had my 56 gallon I had the CF 400

Now that I have the 105 gallon, I have both CF-400 and 500.

Comment

Originally posted by AmazonPassion View Post
              They are basically the same thing IMO.

I have the Aquatop version, but with purchasing from Aquatop, you also get the customer service if anything happens. Just my opinion.
              What do you think makes them any different?

Comment

I got mine from Aquatraders.com and am very happy with it. http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-C...er-p/42044.htm. Cheaper and free shipping.
                __________________________________________________ __________
                Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

That one doesn't have the UV, though, does it? I really want that. I hate algea lol

Comment

Looks like you'd get a good deal on the aquatop on amazon. And hey, even if it is bigger, over filtration doesn't hurt as long as you can turn the flow down if needed!

The biggest caution I have is just make sure the thing is easy to open. As in my review about another brand of canister filter (nothing close to this one) the canister was so difficult to open that it ended up breaking every time I opened it. I can't tell from the pictures if it has any sort of latches to hold the motor to the canister or not.
                    ~Erin
                    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Originally posted by Raerianna View Post
                      Looks like you'd get a good deal on the aquatop on amazon. And hey, even if it is bigger, over filtration doesn't hurt as long as you can turn the flow down if needed!

The biggest caution I have is just make sure the thing is easy to open. As in my review about another brand of canister filter (nothing close to this one) the canister was so difficult to open that it ended up breaking every time I opened it. I can't tell from the pictures if it has any sort of latches to hold the motor to the canister or not.
                      Both links lead to the same filter, just one is on eBay and isn't named and is much cheaper LOL I love over filtering. I have an AC 50 and an AC 30 on my 20 long XD I also plan on running the AC 110 along with whatever canister I end up with on the 50. Gotta clean up after them goldfish!

The AquaTop looks easy to use and put together and such. I've not read anything negative about them anywhere, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Akari_32 View Post
                        That one doesn't have the UV, though, does it? I really want that. I hate algea lol
                        No, it doesn't have the UV on it. Probably why it was a little cheaper. The other canister I am using on that tank is the AquaTop and it does have it. Both canisters work great.
                        __________________________________________________ __________
                        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I have the CF 400 UV on my 55g, works great. I have an identical filter made by Grech with no UV and a little more powerful on the 65g I'm very happy with both. The plastic pieces need to be handled with care, I heat the hose in warm water before trying to put it together. It comes open easily, just have to keep in mind that these aren't super expensive filters and like many things in life you get what you pay for. These are a little more flimsy as far as the parts and just take a little extra care to not break stuff.
                          __________________________________________________ _____
                          Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                          110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I agree it's super easy to open. Also the UV will only get floating algae particles. It definitely doesn't do anything for algae growing on surfaces, as evidenced by my GSA farm

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B View Post
                              I have the CF 400 UV on my 55g, works great. I have an identical filter made by Grech with no UV and a little more powerful on the 65g I'm very happy with both. The plastic pieces need to be handled with care, I heat the hose in warm water before trying to put it together. It comes open easily, just have to keep in mind that these aren't super expensive filters and like many things in life you get what you pay for. These are a little more flimsy as far as the parts and just take a little extra care to not break stuff.
                              Is there anything that can be replaced with metal parts if needed? Like, I could just shoot down to the hardware store if I accidently broke something?

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
                              I agree it's super easy to open. Also the UV will only get floating algae particles. It definitely doesn't do anything for algae growing on surfaces, as evidenced by my GSA farm
                              Hm, really? Won't even help slow the growth? What about like wiping it off the tank surfaces and letting the filter take it? That would kill it, right? I don't have a problem with green water, but spot and BBA are taking hold real well LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X