A little frustrated with canister

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little frustrated with canister

So... a few of you know that I set up a canister at the beginning g of this month... it was ALWAYS shooting air bubbles and specks... I talked to Mars Fish Care and they told me to cut the hoses leaving 4 inches of slack... Well that did take care of the air bubbles BUT when in holy heck does this thing stop spitting out specks in my water...

I figure it has to be better bacteria BUT I have NEVER dealt with this before using HOB's OR UGF's

When does this STOP!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
    As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

You sure the specs aren't micro bubbles?
    ~Erin
    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Do you have something in the filter to trap fine particles?
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

I have 2 micro and 2 super micro on top... the bottom has 2 30ppi and 2 20ppi, next 55 bio chem stars, and then 2 bags of Bio Zorb and 2 bags of Activated Carbon

~Anthony

Comment

Sounds like you have your bases covered. Are you getting the specs constantly or only when first starting up the canister, say after a water change or other maintenance?

I would tear down the canister to make sure all media is laid out to not allow gaps where water could bypass the media.

And, if the specs keep flying out temporarily add a sock or nylon to trap it.

I start seeing debris floating around when my canister slows down and needs a rinsing.
          - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Ahh well this since I got it was spurts... then constant, then spurts... maybe I will pull it and rinse the pads ...

~Anthony

Comment

Well at the risk of looking stoopid... I took my canister out... rinsed the 30 & 20ppi.... And Rinsed out the micro & super micro filter... which by the way were completely dirty.... now it seems I have no issue....

~Anthony

Comment

I have the same issure with my FX5 Canister. It starts to spitout micro bubbles when it needs rinsing.
                Christine

Comment

Well there you go. It was just helping you get your maintenance schedule sorted out
                  __________________________________________________ _____
                  Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                  110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

You never really know how "dirty" those tanks are until you clean the filter, urgh! Even after a month, the pads are completely brown lol
                    ~Erin
                    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

LOL glad you were able to figure out your problem! I usually shake my canister when it starts spitting out bubbles. Takes care of that problem pretty quick. I clean my canisters every 4 weeks to avoid the issue you had lol.
                      -Jonathan

Comment

Well, now I know

~Anthony

Comment

If I remember correctly, I believe my instruction booklet to my canister actually says something about cleaning the canister when it starts to shoot out fine bubbles.

Mine usually needs cleaned about every 5-6 weeks to prevent bubbles.

Comment

Yeah.. I just looked at the pictures...lol

~Anthony

Comment

At least you were able to figure it out and resolve the problem.

And, it is a good reminder to every one of us! When canisters start spewing tiny bubbles it's time to clean.
                              - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Working...
                              X