X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rena XP3 vs TWO Magnum 350s w/biowheels

What do you think about this idea?

My 90G is currently filtered by two Magnum 350s with biowheels. They do not hold much media so both baskets are stuffed with biobeads. I have to rinse the media out once or twice every week because of all the plant debris and because of being well overstocked!

My 125G is currently filtered by an AquaClear 110 and the Rena XP3. This tank is well stocked and practically runs itself. In fact, I have yet to scrub any algae off anything with the pleco and the filters get rinsed maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

So, I am considering swapping around filters. The Rena canister for both 350s. What do you think?
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Re: Rena XP3 vs TWO Magnum 350s w/biowheels

Should work. Go for it.
    The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

I have a Rena XP3 on my 25G long planted tank, I know its over kill but, the hob was just not cutting it. I have to clean it up once a month, or it clogs up and doesn't work.
      Matt

Comment

Sounds like a good idea. Just remember that with canisters you have to clean them out every once in a while. I clean mine every two weeks because my 75g is overstocked. They clean the tank really well but they will hold the waste in them and the water just gets filtered through it.
        -Jonathan

Comment

I haven't yet done this. Been working too many hours. And have been sick all weekend.

I am just getting tired of having to clean both 350s every week. All my other tanks the filters can go weeks, if not months, between cleanings.

The 350s plug up so much that almost no water flows through them and I don't have time to clean them more than once a week. My reasoning is that the XP3 has tons more media and seems to me that it could handle the plant debris better. The 350s have a single tiny basket, so by comparison I will have more media. And if the XP is able to keep the water circulating I would be much happier.

The biggest concern is the 125G. Running two 350 and an AC110 may not be enough considering its stocking levels.
          - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

I agree that it's a good Idea to ditch the magnums. I've had really good luck with generic canisters if you're looking to save money. I have an AC70, an AC50 and a Jebao 320GPH canister on my 125. I'm pretty darn heavily stocked, I'm having no trouble handling my bioload. I bought my Jebao and 1500 grams of ceramic rings for like $65 on ebay.
            Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

That's good to know. Thanks! I didn't use to mind the magnums....before I turned the tank into a planted jungle. They just can't handle the extra debris.

Ugh, I changed the water on EVERY tank TODAY!! Worked last weekend so no water changes happened. Now sick and doing nothing more than changing the water. No gravel vacs, no filter maintenance, nothing else! Tomorrow, if I am up to it, I am going to switch the filters. But it is going to take time cleaning 3 filters and swapping around the tubing. So, hopefully I'll be up to all that after work.
              - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

I would honestly just look into a newer canister for the tanks, the magnums seem nice but are taking up alot of your tank time keeping them clean. I would leave the other tank alone as you said it does run itself, and why mess with what works.

I have one of the Jeabo filters on my 75gal tank and it works great for me. Needs to be cleaned about once a month or there abouts due to plant debris and such.
                -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Lack of funds...or I would. That's why I am going to try switching the filters. I am hoping with no plant debris that I can save for a new filter early next year. Been hit with high medical bills again.
                  - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Ya know I wouldnt mess too much with it really. Why take the chance of making a mess of two tanks when only 1 is an issue right now.
                    -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Filter Arrangement?

Found a deal on a new XP4. So, I ordered it. And it arrived today. Now, I am trying to figure out what to do.

Filters Available:
                      XP3
                      XP4
                      Magnum 350
                      Magnum 350 with 2 biowheels
                      AC110

How would you set up filtration?

I know the XP3 and AC110 worked well over a year with no issues on the 125G with my current stocking. So am considering going back to that set up.

Current stocking:

125G
                      6 Silver Dollars, largest 8 inches
                      5 Clown Loaches, largest 8 inches
                      5 Australian Rainbowfish, largest 4 inches
                      1 African Krib, about 3 inches
                      1 Pleco, 12 inches
                      No plants, only driftwood

90G
                      12 Angels
                      5 Gold Barbs
                      2 Bristlenose Pleco
                      1 Bolivian Ram
                      5 Black Neon
                      3 SAE
                      6 Albino Cory
                      1 Long fin Pepper Cory (others died from disease)

Can the XP4 provide enough circulation on a 90G? Or will I still need to run one of the Magnum 350s? Would it be better to use the XP4 on the 125G?

Tell me how you would set up filtration with these options.
                      - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

according to the numbers its enough to handle it. Your talking a bit over 4 turns an hour. As to if it can actually provide that and handle the tank I cant really say.
                        -Jim-

Comment

I have been running both 350s on the 90g. But they can't handle the plant debris. And clog very quickly. So, have been getting very little filtration from them. Not too worried as the plants take care of the difference. It is the water current that I am concerned with.

I believe I will try the XP4 on the 90. And see how that goes. I imagine it would create more circulation than I have had with both 350s.
                          - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Working...
                          X