Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canister maintenance

Hi all,
    I have a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. I have a Rena canister and was wondering if there's any maintenance I need to do to the seals and do I ever need to clean out the supply hoses? I can't imagine that's a common thing because those locking rings aren't that stout to handle on and off. The system has been running for about a year.
    Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Robin
    55g, 10g, 5g
    55g and another 10g being planned.

I personally dont worry too much about lines unless they are really bad looking. I have had others online for well over 3 years with no issues or need to clean out. I do clean out the filters themselves but not usually the other stuff. As for seals and such, I have been known to use a little petroleum jelly on the canister O rings for the covers just in case.
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I have never cleaned out the hoses. They can get some buildup, but nothing extreme that would cause any worry.

As for the o-rings, I haven't done anything to them, although using petroleum jelly as Jim suggested couldn't hurt. But, if you notice any cracks starting to form get a new ring before it fails and the canister leaks.

The beauty of canisters is they don't need much maintenance. But can be a mess if you let it go too long. My canisters are overdue for a cleaning of the sponges. But so long as the water moves through them and the parameters are good I don't worry about it. Yet, I also know I have a mess to tackle when I find the time and the willpower to break them down.
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

Thank you very much. I clean mine every two weeks at least. Even though the tank is big, the Fred- common pleco and Bris- bushy nose, tend to make it dirty quick.
        Do you actually remove the O ring or just do the petroleum jelly with it in place?

Robin
        55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Wow, you clean it that often? Is it that dirty inside or is it just that you need to clean the mechanical filter inside it.

I will give it a look and see if the o-ring needs cleaning or not but I dont always pull it off and I dont always use jelly on it. For me its more situational based on looks and if I have any trouble getting the darn thing to stay in place when I put the cover on, or if there is a leak, or if it just looks a little rough.
          -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I'd have to agree. I wouldn't even consider cracking into a canister more than every 1-2 months. I don't even clean my sponge filters more than once a month.
            - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

I'm just going on my tank parameters and it seems to be pretty gunky
              Maybe I'm being too obsessive? I change 30%of the water once a week. I guess I can slow down on the filter.ūüôĄ

Robin
              55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

If that is gunky to you then you'd faint at my canisters. But do what you need to make yourself comfortable.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

- Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

I just get concerned because of the two plecos in there and the weird deaths last year

Robin
                  55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

But you have to remember that it is worse to over clean your filters as that will cause the nitrifying bacterial colonies to be weak. Besides, the waste created by plecos is removed more by gravel cleanings than filter cleanings. So long as your tank has no measurable ammonia or nitrite your filter is managing. But, as I said before, you what makes you comfy.
                    - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

here here Dena, thats the nail on the head.
                      -Jim-

Comment

Thank you, I will focus more on the gravel cleaning. The other problem I have is torn rotator cuffs, so I have to be very careful about how full my bucket gets if I don't have help.

Robin
                        55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Y'all were right; but then,I knew you would be. The tank is actually happier without me meddling with the filter. Thank you.

Robin
                          55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Glad its working out for you. Just keep an eye on that Ammonia and Nitrate while you learn your new maintenance schedule.
                            -Jim-

Comment

Glad you are seeing positive changes. Now, what are you gonna do with that free time? Hehe

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

- Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Working...
                              X