Re-circulating system for 7 20 gallon guppy tanks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-circulating system for 7 20 gallon guppy tanks

Hi i am planning on adding a canister re-circulating system for my 7 20 high guppy colonies. I am planning on using PVC pipe and a large canniester filter, i have to add a nice high powered UV stearilizer because i am experinceing some parasite or TB bacteria that is causing them to occasionally get bent spines. They are bare bottom right now with powerfilters Sitting on a rack. Any suggestions on UV stearlizers or Cannister? It is 140 gallons.

Welcome to the forum!

Are you getting fry with bent spines? Adult females that get bent spines after breeding for a while? Odds are you do not have disease in your tank as there are many environmental factors that can cause this over time.

How long have your guppy colonies been breeding? Are you adding new fish or simply letting the colony exist on its own?

To address your question on what to set up, I would recommend using a sump system. If you plan on having one tank drain into the next through all 20 tanks before returning to the filter, then you will also need to figure out how to keep your colonies separate as the fry can be picked up and moved into another tank and you've lost your clean lines. Something to consider while planning this centralized filtration setup.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Yes fry that get bent spines as they develop. And not a lot of bent spine adults, but i have seen some that spontaneously develop one even in maturity. I had been feeding freeze-dried tubifex, and i was told that "whirling disease" is one possibility, that it can survive the freeze-drying process, and also that TB and other types of bacteria could possibly survive the preparation process.
      ‚ÄčEvnivonmental factors, well my water is hard, 200-250 GH and 120 KH. It is 8.4 out of tap, and ofc its cycled tanks. There is also small amounts of lead, as my house is older. Its pretty low tho.

Comment

I will let catsma_97504 handle the diagnosis, she is much better at that than I am.

I will be happy to help you out with your flow questions. You are looking to circulate the water in 7 tanks, I am ssuming that you are having overflows from one tank to another so that the flow will circulate thru the tanks in series and not in parallel. If this is the case, I think you will find that the flow rate thru each tank is going to be rather large. If you go with a parallel system you can easily accomplish this.

Your flow rate should be somewhere around 1400 gph, or what would equate to about 23-24 gpm. This is a fairly large pump in all honesty for a 20gal tank. Now if you are looking to just circulate the water in each tank I would move more towards the power fan option as this can circulate a lot of water in each tank without having to blow around the fish too much if at all.

As for a UV sterilizer, I would think that there are several options available to you but an inline unit would be the easiest to maintain and locate in your system.
        -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
        If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
        Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

i was thinking of just a cannister with uptake valves and pvc pipe that runs to a big cannister sump and then back out. Thru the UV on the way out. It would be hard to get enough suction, but a decent sized cannister should be ok to slowly suck water from each tank? Would this work?

Comment

Fry with bent spines are caused from inbreeding. Need to add some stronger genes to your tanks.

Adults with bent spines. Is this only happening to females? When females have been repeated bred with no breaks their spines will suddenly bend. This is not disease. It is the result of over breeding the female. When my females would start to show signs of stress or would end up with a bend spine I would move them to an all female tank and let them live out their lives in peace.
            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
            Socrates

Comment

I think you are over thinking things a bit. What I am understanding from your post is that you will have diff suction lines from each tank to a canister? but into a sump? Are you using multiple canister filters for this?

I would think to use just some simple overflows on the tanks to the sump and then use the sump with heat and UV in it and a pump only to bring it back to the multiple tanks. You can easily pump into a header and then use drop legs on each of the tanks with a valve to regulate flow into the tank.
              -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
              If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
              Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
              Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Even with a UV sterilizer, you can still spread disease from one tank to another. Using a sump would work better than a canister filter if you really wanted to go through with it.
                Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

I pretty much have changed my mind. Guppies are not worth the effort for a sump and UV filter. They are just cull the bad ones and feed the best ones, cull cull, Grow Grow. (and 1000 water changes later, you have good fish)

Comment

Working...
                  X