Canister... please help with figuring out media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canister... please help with figuring out media

So... I just got my SunSun302 today! So excited. This is going to be for my 20 tall gallon riparium (1/3 air, 2/3 water) which will be heavily planted and stocked with Coral Red Pencilfish (when my LFS guy can get them!)

It didn't come with any media. Being new to this, I just used the media that my Fluval 306 came with when I set it up... so I guess now is the time to learn what media to get not only for the new SunSun but also for my Fluval if/when I need to replace it.

Fluval came with carbon and bio rings and sponges. (all are in use right now though I'm considering taking out the carbon and replacing with something else?)

SunSun just has the 3 cotton pads for each tray and that's it. LOTS OF ROOM for more media.

I'll take any and all suggestions (please keep in mind I'm new to this so treating me like a kid would be great)

THANKS!
    Gingerone's Tanks:
    55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
    20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
    Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

That sounds like it going to be a cool tank! I can't wait to see it

I set up my Aquatops (same thing) like this:

1st basket(bottom)-coarse sponges like this black one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=25249

2nd basket- Filter floss or other fine mechanical media

3rd basket- Bio media, normally I have enough room in this tray for a media bag of crushed coral or carbon, whatever is necessary. Imo this basket needs one of those filter pads on it so no small chunks of bio media are sucked up by the impeller, and then the grid thing on top of that.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I don't know about any of you BUT 30ppi pads seem to be a waste... I would use 20ppi.... Bio balls or stars , biozorb, activated carbon and micro filters & super micro filter
      It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
      As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Uh Oh... I just looked at an unopened package of 20ppi... So I think I am confused on how the aereated on which has the smaller holes... I thought it was 20 BUT apparently it is 30... somebody help me out here

~Anthony

Comment

If the PPI is pores per inch or something along those lines then I would think the 30 is the finer of the two, more, smaller holes. That being said I am unfamiliar with the term ppi and am more comfortable with "microns", higher number= finer mesh.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

OK then ex the 20ppi and go with 30ppi

~Anthony

Comment

Thank you! (a belated thank you but thank you all the same... just been really busy lately... ARGH!)
              Gingerone's Tanks:
              55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
              20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
              Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

Comment

You're welcome

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                X