Surface Skimmer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface Skimmer?

Has anyone ever used one of these or have a friend that has? I've got some particles that collect on the surface of my 55g (very fine, not sure what they are) and I'm wondering if this will help: http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Surfa...urface+Skimmer
    ~Erin
    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

I have and use one, I like it when first setting up a tank to get the film that developes. Super easy to install/remove, has an adjustable lower level intake as well so you can use it as an intake for a hob as well. Neat little gadget and worth every penny imo.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Think it'll work on a canister filter as well?
      ~Erin
      10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

My canister has a skimmer inlet coming off of the main inlet I hook it to. I can't guarantee it, but the fitting it comes with it allow you to adapt it to a hob intake so it depends on the canisters inlet size, also, its only about 8" tall so your lower (non skimming) inlet wouldn't be very deep in the tank.

What kind of canister do you have?

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I might just have to throw the whisper 30 on it then, because the intake for my canister is almost the height of the tank and probably a good 3/4 - 1 inch in diameter, it's huge.
          ~Erin
          10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

I have been looking at these....I am interested in getting one myself...
            It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
            As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I can't guarantee it, but I bet you can find an irrigation or plumbing fitting to make it work. Thats what I had to do, it was loose on my skimmer inlet so I dug through old filter parts to find an adapter to make it fit. It may fit into, not over your inlet.

It worked well with my can but I'm not sure how well a whisper will hold onto that protein slick, worth a shot imo.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I have that as the intake on my Fluval 205 canister. Works great. You can do totally surface, totally subsurface, or any blend in between. I would buy it again.
                Chris (the 'h' is silent)

Comment

So I did get one of these in the mail today. Looks like what I'll have to do is cut a piece of my current tubing for my filter and use it as a connector because the piece from the skimmer is the -exact- same size as my filter hard plastic tubes.
                  ~Erin
                  10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Sweet! How do you like it so far?

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I haven't hooked it up yet cause I didn't feel like dismantling my filter tonight to cut a piece of tubing
                      ~Erin
                      10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

I was just looking at an HOB with a surface skimmer but didn't pull the trigger on it. I want to add another filter to my 29gal.
                        8 GloFish
                        6 Glowlight Tetra
                        1 Dwarf Gourami
                        4 Mystery Snail

Comment

I use that as well on my planted 55g for the annoying surface film. Went down to our hardware store and got a piece of hose to connect it to the intake of my canister filter. Works very well with removing the surface film.
                          Christine

Comment

The fun part will be calibrating it...as it has -no- directions...
                            ~Erin
                            10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Originally posted by Raerianna View Post
                              The fun part will be calibrating it...as it has -no- directions...
                              Yup..hehehe
                              Christine

Comment

Working...
                              X