X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raerianna
    started a topic Surface Skimmer?

Surface Skimmer?

Has anyone ever used one of these or have a friend that has? I've got some particles that collect on the surface of my 55g (very fine, not sure what they are) and I'm wondering if this will help: http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Surfa...urface+Skimmer

• Raerianna
    replied
    I'm going to give it about a week to see if it does what I want it to do...and if it doesn't it comes out cause it's more stuff on my back wall lol

Leave a comment:

• Matt B
    replied
    You are correct, it is using some of the intake capability of the can but not much it seems imo. I adjust mine to skim only so the can inlet is still pulling the majority of water.

Leave a comment:

• Raerianna
    replied
    So I got it hooked up, I did manage to find directions...water is definitely flowing through the teeth of the cup and I'm seeing little bits of duck weed getting sucked in..so we'll see how it goes.

I'm almost wondering if it's cutting down on the flow rate of my canister though..hrm..

Leave a comment:

• AlyeskaGirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Raerianna View Post
    The fun part will be calibrating it...as it has -no- directions...
    Yup..hehehe

Leave a comment:

• Raerianna
    replied
    The fun part will be calibrating it...as it has -no- directions...

Leave a comment:

• AlyeskaGirl
    replied
    I use that as well on my planted 55g for the annoying surface film. Went down to our hardware store and got a piece of hose to connect it to the intake of my canister filter. Works very well with removing the surface film.

Leave a comment:

• soarl
    replied
    I was just looking at an HOB with a surface skimmer but didn't pull the trigger on it. I want to add another filter to my 29gal.

Leave a comment:

• Raerianna
    replied
    I haven't hooked it up yet cause I didn't feel like dismantling my filter tonight to cut a piece of tubing

Leave a comment:

• Matt B
    replied
    Sweet! How do you like it so far?

Leave a comment:

• Raerianna
    replied
    So I did get one of these in the mail today. Looks like what I'll have to do is cut a piece of my current tubing for my filter and use it as a connector because the piece from the skimmer is the -exact- same size as my filter hard plastic tubes.

Leave a comment:

• cafN8d
    replied
    I have that as the intake on my Fluval 205 canister. Works great. You can do totally surface, totally subsurface, or any blend in between. I would buy it again.

Leave a comment:

• Matt B
    replied
    I can't guarantee it, but I bet you can find an irrigation or plumbing fitting to make it work. Thats what I had to do, it was loose on my skimmer inlet so I dug through old filter parts to find an adapter to make it fit. It may fit into, not over your inlet.

It worked well with my can but I'm not sure how well a whisper will hold onto that protein slick, worth a shot imo.

Leave a comment:

• AquaAnt
    replied
    I have been looking at these....I am interested in getting one myself...

Leave a comment:

• Raerianna
    replied
    I might just have to throw the whisper 30 on it then, because the intake for my canister is almost the height of the tank and probably a good 3/4 - 1 inch in diameter, it's huge.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X