Ouch!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch!

It seems something is wrong with the marina internal filter in my mystery snail grow-out tank. I went to feed them this morning and actually stuck my finger in the water and felt a stinging on my finger. After multiple tries I figured out it was the filter that was shocking me. My husband tested it with his little electronic gizmo and it was reading 27, whatever that means. So, it's gone and I've placed an old HOB on the tank for the moment. I hope it didn't do any damage to my little snails!

I hate it when that happens! Really nasty feeling. I doubt anything happened to the snails.
    -Jonathan

Comment

Snails are tough little guys, I hope they are all okay
      When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Yes, it was not a good feeling at all. The snails didn't seem as active today which concerns me, but hopefully it's nothing significant.

He checked all of the other tanks for me as well and the only one that registered anything significant was a heater in the betta tank. It will be getting tossed and replaced soon.

Comment

Usually the current just will pass around them, as we are grounded the current goes thru us for the earthen ground. Snails should be fine.
          -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
          If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
          Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
          Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Wow... this is a first I've heard of this... I have thought about this happening with HOB's, Heaters, UV Sterilizers & Power heads... SCARY!
            It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
            As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by pirahnah3 View Post
              Usually the current just will pass around them, as we are grounded the current goes thru us for the earthen ground. Snails should be fine.
              So, even though they are touching the aquarium, they're not grounded? Forgive my ignorance, I'm just trying to straighten it out in my head. The reason I ask is because they're much more active today than they were yesterday. Yesterday when I noticed the problem they were all at the water line in their shells. Today they're all over the place and the only thing I changed was the filter.

Comment

No forgiveness needed, your fine.

The water is a conductor, but not a grounding piece, rubber insulates. The electricity needs a path to go thru so it just happily moved around in the water but never went anywhere. Think of it kinda like a gelatenous goo. When you touched it most likely you were not wearing rubber soled shoes or anything and the electricity was able to travel thru your body and into something else. When it was in the tank it just kinda (most likely not fully) made the filter work.
                -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Yeah, I finally figured out why it was only occassionaly shocking me. Sometimes I was standing on our bathroom rubber mat, other times I was on the tile. This "tank" is one of those large kritter keepers so it's just sitting on our guest bathroom counter.

Comment

The rubber mat insulated you from the shock.
                    -Jim-

Comment

Wow. I would never knew that this could happen.

Glad everything is okay and we have Jim to explain things.
                      Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Working...
                      X