Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Various Sized White Clumpy Looking Spots?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various Sized White Clumpy Looking Spots?

So I went to rinse some of my media in my canister and noticed various sized clumpy looking spots in the inlet and outlet tubing... Since this is my first experience with a Canister Filter, What is it? Is this Normal? Am I seriously going to have to take my entire canister apart to clean this tubing?
    It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
    As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Sounds like uneaten food that has been broken down by bacteria.
    The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

like B-B sized clumps, or like pea sized clumps? I agree with Dino, but the clumps in the outlet complicate that diagnosis.
      Chris (the 'h' is silent)

Comment

Various sizes from what I seen as big as a nickel and as small as a pea

~Anthony

Comment

You feed pellets and/or flake?
          The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

Just Flake...Oh and Algae & Frozen Brine... BUT There is NEVER any flake OR Brine left over...because even when it hits the substrate all my fish are scavaging for what's made it to the bottom...

I have to sink the flakes with my hand otherwise the fishies at the bottom would get any food from my piglets, I mean Angels...

~Anthony

Comment

I clean my canisters tubing every 4-6 months. I noticed the build up is worst in the first couple months of a tank being set up. The first cleaning of the tubes after I set up a tank usually cleans tons of bacterial build up that resembles what you are describing.
              __________________________________________________ _____
              Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
              110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

YaY... there is something I haven't heard about Canister Filters.... ugh... now that's on my list of things to do this morning

~Anthony

Comment

Its not that bad Here's how I do it and its relatively painless:

1- Turn off can and disconnect inlet tubing from inlet piping in tank, making sure to keep open end held high to prevent siphon. Run hose brush through tubing all the way to the can and reconnect tubing to inlet piping.

2- Disconnect outlet hose from outlet piping in tank, making sure to keep open end held high to prevent siphon. Run hose brush through outlet hose and lower open end of outlet tubing into a 5 gal bucket. At this point, either siphon will rinse out the outlet hose or you can switch on the filter to flush it into the bucket.

3- Reconnect everything and run for a minute or two. Now all the gunk is either in the can or in the bucket, clean the can as you normally would.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Well... New thing... Hose Brush... must get one... more to buy lol...

~Anthony

Comment

There's always more to buy! LOL!

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                      X