Baffling a Circulatiion Pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffling a Circulatiion Pump

So I have an aqueon 700 circulation pump in my 55, which is recommended for 30-55g...this thing is waaaaayy too powerful! It blows my poor tetras halfway across the tank!

I'm mostly looking to use it to keep some water circulation near the bottom of the tank. Anyone have any idea how to baffle this thing to slow it down some? I've got it pointing at my lower piece of driftwood and my big rock, so it mostly slows down after that.

Here's what it looks like: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=23725
    ~Erin
    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

That's shocking they recommend that much current!! Could their recommendations be based on saltwater needs? I have a 400 gph circulation pump in my 90G and it has to be angled to avoid blowing my fish around!! I can't imaging having a stronger pump in a tank half the size.

I wonder if you could add something to be back where it sucks in the water. If less water can be picked up then by reason (at least my reasoning) it should be pushing less water around.

Good luck.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

I will gladly trade you my Aqueon 500 for it! My 500 isnt enough for my 75 for my liking, the rainbowfish play in it but it isnt enough to keep them happy. If you want to keep that one I would think that some plastic wrap around the outside of the unit would seal up alot of the intake for it, you could also try to put something directly behind it to limit water flow. try a few things in a tub and see how it goes.
      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

LoL...Photo of fish blowing half way across the tank please...
        It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
        As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I might take you up on that Jim!
          ~Erin
          10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

I had the same problem then I decided to try the Hydor Koralia Nano pump and it worked much better. Didn't blast fish and plants around. I then got a second one.
            Christine

Comment

I have looked at the Hydor stuff, and when I go salt I think that is what I will use in that tank due to the great reputation they have. Personally I like the aqueon stuff for freshwater tanks it works well.
              -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I don't have anything productive to add really, just a concern that closing off the intake partially may make the motor labor and fail prematurely.
                __________________________________________________ _____
                Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Considering that these are mose likely mag drive motors in total and using a centrifugal type system you can close them off a bit without alot of worry.
                  -Jim-

Comment

Working...
                  X