Looking for a good canister filter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a good canister filter

So I am looking for my first canister filter... It would be going onto my 40g. To be honest I don't know what to look for... Any advice, tips, tricks, ones you recommend?
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

I am using a fluval 305, an Aquatop 400 on my 150 and an Odyssea CFS 500 on my 75. I have never had any problems with any of them. I got the fluval with one of the tanks I bought, the Aquatop on Amazon and the Odyssea on Aquatraders.com.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

What did you pay for them? I'm budgeting about $100 for one (not sure how much most to for so I'm attempting to stay in that budget)
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
      1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
      40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Ebay!!!!

I got my Fluval 306 ($259 at Petsmart last I checked) for $80.

I got my SunSun302 for $50.

The Fluval is fantastic, the SunSun is great though the directions it comes with are terrible.

Edited to add... these were all brand new.
        Gingerone's Tanks:
        55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
        20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
        Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

Comment

I paid $17 for the Aquatop - it was an Amazon booboo. I think it is usually $99. And I paid $58.60 for the Odyssea on Aquatraders and it was free shipping.
          __________________________________________________ __________
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Well, I got a API xP XL.... sadly I spent 185+.... BUT very happy with it
            It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
            As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

It'll be hard to find a good one at a store for under a hundred. When I was shopping for them, I just made kind of a little chart:

Cost and flow rate, then the specific features I was interested including height (fitting in a smallish spot), shut offs for tank maintenance, ability to customize (multiple baskets etc...), available accessories (spray bar etc...) and a carefully weighted consideration of user reviews. I say carefully weighted because if 50% of the bad reviews were obviously written by morons I disregard them

Finally consider technical stats like how far the top of the tank will be above the top of the filter (how much head can it overcome), overall size, hose diameter...

Also consider if you are interested in in-line accessories like heaters and UV, they have pretty specific hose size requirements.

When I was building my tank I decided on an eheim. I went to petsmart and they had the fluval 205 50% off...needless to say, I changed my mind. I'm happy with my fluval.
              Chris (the 'h' is silent)

Comment

Working...
              X