Powerheads and plants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerheads and plants

I am thinking about adding a kolania 240 powerhead to my 29 gallon in order to circulate the water better. There isn't hardly any surface agitation, which I read was good because this makes the co2 stay in the water. However, I have my DIY co2 setup hooked up to the filter intake and the chopped up bubbles get stuck in the sponge so the co2 gets dissolved pretty well. I was thinking on just having this thing pointed straight on the opposite side as the filter. Is this a good idea to circulate the water better and move the ferts an nutrients for the plants around the tank better?

A powerhead can be a good thing, but your fish may struggle. I have a 400 gph powerhead with my XP4 filter on a 90G tank. The powerhead is creating too much current for my fish, but the plants are happy and the algae is disappearing.

I am considering adding the powerhead to my 125G and purchasing a smaller one.

Based on my experience you may want to purchase a smaller powerhead; unless this tank only houses plants.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

No I have an angelfish in my tank as well, would 240gph really be too much? I only ask because the filter barely agitates the surface, there isn't hardly any flow at all. Also, I remember reading that if iron is mixed with phosphates that they cancel each other out or something. I dose my micros and macros on the same day and dose them on opposite sides of the tank. I was wandering if I were to dose the iron and micros on the side with the powerhead and the macros and phosphorus on the other, would the powerhead mix them and cancel them out?
      Last edited by tayjay76; 04-25-2013, 10:20 PM.

Comment

All I could say was to give it a try. You could deflect the water if it is too strong. While my angels still dislike my powerhead, they are getting used to it. At least, they are no longer getting blown around the tank.

It is true the phosphates and iron will bind to form iron phosphate. This compound cannot be used by plants, so the nutrients are wasted. In a low dose tank (low to low-moderate light) there is information that this isn't as much of a concern as with a high light/high dose tank. The only way to know if there is a difference would be to dose on different days, or to dose macros in the morning and micros in the evening, and see if there is a change in your plants after a week or two.
        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Ya I suppose I could just dose my micros and macros on different days. Right now they are used to 7ml of macros and 9ml of micros every day. I failed to mention that I add flourish phoshorus with my macros three days a week. When I get some flourish Iron I will dose the micros with the iron on one side. Should I just dose the flourish iron with micros on one side and the macros on the other side three days a week. On the other three days I will dose the flourish phosphorus with the macros on the macro side with the micros on the other side, but not with iron since I would dose that on the other three days. Will that work?

Comment

That should work. Phosphate with macros; iron with micros.
            - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Or would it be better to dose micros and macros on different days. Like three days a week i dose macros and three days a week I dose micros. On sunday I do 50% water changes and don't dose ferts. I only ask because even if I dose micros and macros on the same day, same time everyday, but on opposite sides. Also with the addition of dosing flourish phosphorus on mondays, wed, and fri. Dosing the fluorish iron on tues, thurs, and saturday. I was just wandering if I dose micros and macros on same day, whether I dose the macros and micros on opposite side, if the power head would mix them, which might make the phosphorus and iron unusable like you stated?

Comment

The compounds will come in contact. The unknown is whether they will bind or not. I have always heard to dose at different times; but MattB discovered in a low light, low dose fert setup that it may not matter.

The only way to know if there is a difference would be to dose at different times and monitor your plants for changes.

You had mentioned yellowing on your cabomba in another thread. If iron deficiency from binding is the cause changing your dosing plan might resolve the issue. And if it does then you'll know that dosing the same amount together was the problem.
                - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Ya I decided to dose the macros and micros on different days.This is what you do correct? I just increased the dose from 7ml to 8ml, but on three days a week instead of everyday. So the plants shouldn't be too shocked since they are used to getting both everyday.

Comment

If you were dosing 7 ml daily, then you will probably need to dose 14 ml every other day. You do not want the levels to become completely depleted. Just monitor the levels.

I dose macros on M, W, F and micros on Tu, Th, Sat.
                    - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

To answer part of the power head issue, one of my local friends was having an issue with his so he put it on a timer to run a few hours a day, has a few cycles of it but it runs in shorter runs to help keep things moving but not be too much in the tank.
                      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Working...
                      X