Wet/Dry sump filter advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet/Dry sump filter advice.

So I am deciding to whether to get a tank with a built in overflow, I am a little concerned with filtration however. Short term I plan on just attaching a canister to it but would ultimately like a sump style filter underneath the tank. The aspect I am not comfortable with is mechanical filtration in the sump. I am confident diy'ing and plan to build it myself but all the drawings I have seen show either the incoming water going directly onto the bio-media with a thin layer of poly on top, or a micron bag type setup but then you'd lose the nice aerated water cascading over the bio-media and its position above the waterline of the sump. Any input would be appreciated.

I may have answered my own question, if I did something like the below I could just make the first panel a little lower to allow for overflow if the media gets clogged and put as much floss as I want. Of course it will just be dribbling through instead of forced through, I don't know how effective that is.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sump...tm%3B500%3B277
    Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 08-09-2013, 05:24 PM. Reason: merged posts; housekeeping
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

My tank came with a diy sump filter. At the top of my tank has two bulkheads. One bulk head is gravity fed down to my sump filter which is a rubbermaid container divided in half by some kind of plastic crate. The half where the water flows down.the first layer is some kind of coarse sponge and under neath are bioballs. The other half is empty where the water flows that contains a pump that pushes the water back into the tank.
    Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Don't your bio balls get filthy though?

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

The coarse sponge catches the debris before it hits the bioballs. The bioballs have a little slime though. The only problem with an open sump if you ever have an injected CO2 system the CO2 gasses out.
        Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Gotcha, I have a 2' tall perforated inlet riser with sponges on it so that along with the floss I think will keep it pretty clean. I'm not planning on co2 so I should be good there.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
          X