Sponge filter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponge filter

I have a sponge filter in my main tank only used when I need to QT fish...Do I need it to be attached to an air pump for it to remain seeded or can I just unplug my air pump?

It would be better to attach an air pump to keep water circulating through the media. That would allow for all the bacteria to stay active in the sponge.
    -Jonathan

Comment

I sort of figured, how about if I placed the sponge filter directly below the spray wand?

Comment

It will stay 'alive' by just being in the tank. More bacteria will remain active with more flow. So if you put it in a higher flow spot then it'll be better .
        -Jonathan

Comment

More flow thru the media (in this case the sponge) the more bacteria will for a to handle the nutrients.
          -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
          If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
          Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
          Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

So is a sponge filter just hooked up to an incoming air supply?
            Robin
            55g, 10g, 5g
            55g and another 10g being planned.

Comment

I've often wondered that too
              Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Most sponge filters have perforated tube inside the sponge to allow water through the sponge, there will also typically be a riser, either off to the side or in the center of the sponge with the air outlet located inside of it, as the air bubbles rise to the surface through the riser they create negative pressure thus drawing water through the sponge and perforated pipe. It then follows the air bubbles out of the top of the riser.
                __________________________________________________ _____
                Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Are they similar to airstones?

Comment

In the sense that they are constantly releasing bubbles yes, imo the similarities end there. Thats all an airstone will do, make bubbles, the sponge filter will also serve as biological, and to a lesser degree, mechanical filtration along with the bubble aspect.

Imo, if I am going to have an air pump and tubing in there, may as well have the added benefits of an extra, seeded filter too.
                    __________________________________________________ _____
                    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

That sounds reasonable

Comment

Working...
                      X