Dang it!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang it!!!

I just fried some of the fish in the 29 gallon :/ I accidently picked up the broken heater (I have two of the exact same, so I wasn't sure which was which) when I was setting the tank up the other day.

Well, I got home today, and put a bag of ghost shrimp that I just bought on the way home in the tank, and added some water to get the started. I came back in a bit to check on them, and half of them are dead! What the heck!? So I decided to not add any more water then, and looked around at the tank.

Something was missing.... Couldn't quite decide what. So looked a bit harder, and I see my precious little pandas Cory, dead at the back of the tank. I looked around a bit more, and realized I was missing the two male Endlers, and my small male Platy. Now that think about it, all my fry from PetCo are missing too...

To balance myself as i bent and rocked around looking for these fish, input my hand on the tank. It was warm to the touch, almost hot! I pulled the meat thermometer out of the filter on the 50 gallon (don't ask.... Lol) and stuck it in the tank, and temp soared up to just under 85!! No wonder all my fish are dead!

Just UGH! I don't need this right now >.< RIP fishies. I knew i shouldn't have used that stupid heater :/ Luckily, Bruce, Ume (the betta) and the plecos are ok. Too bad the danios didn't kick it, too.... <.<
    Last edited by Akari_32; 04-02-2013, 04:28 PM.

I'm sorry to hear about that rip lil fishies

Comment

This is the second time that heater has tried to kill my fish! This time it succeeded.... Its going straight in the trash this time!!

Comment

Good idea at least not all of the fishies died

Comment

Man, that really sucks. I am so sorry that happened to you and your fish.
          __________________________________________________ __________
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Awe that really sucks! Good idea to toss that bad heater straight into the trash!
            8 GloFish
            6 Glowlight Tetra
            1 Dwarf Gourami
            4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Man that terrible Akari, sorry for your losses.

Dang those Danios and their hardiness!!!
              __________________________________________________ _____
              Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
              110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I am sorry to hear you lost so many fish. But if the temps were only 85F that would not have cooked them. If the water was hot to the touch odds are it was probably 15-20 degrees warmer. I'd get a different thermometer as well.
                - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                Socrates

Comment

The water wasn't hot, but it was really warm. I have a low heat tolerance on my hands, though... I use the meat thermometer because I have top fin one that only reads 75, no matter what. I took it out of the tank before it stopped moving up, so it could very well have been higher than that.
                  Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 09-29-2013, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I'm quite impatient so I bought an instant read thermometer (used for cooking) and it works rather well.

Comment

A new thermometer is on my list for next weeks or next next weeks Pet Mountain shopping spree (because $115 this week there wasnt enough lol)

Comment

I get the fluval nano glass ones, they are like a dollar and inconspicuous, I like having 2 in each tank so the price is a draw but they work fine too.
                        __________________________________________________ _____
                        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Sorry about your fishies stupid heater!

Comment

Sorry Akari .
                            -Jonathan

Comment

Alright, this is taking far too long to cool down! The hood is open, the filters are turned up all the way, and the heater is unplugged. The temp doesn't feel likes it's gone down, and Bruce is starting to get sluggish and is gasping at the bottom of the tank, moving huge mouthfuls of water through his gills. I've got a few air pumps somewhere... Guess I'll break them out. Bruce and the BN are two fish I can't bare to loose, and I don't know what else to do :/

Comment

Working...
                              X