heater for a 10gal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heater for a 10gal

Ok so I was looking around knowing I need a heater for a 10gal tank I have. I can get 50watt heaters (aqueon pro) at petco online for 23.99, for a 100 watt its 26.39. Which are the cheapest I can find for aqueon pro's. Now I can find a 200watt heater which I use in most of my other tanks for 21.15, is a 200 really going to overkill the tank that bad and cause it to really short cycle?
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Re: heater for a 10gal

The general rule of thumb is 3-5 watts of heat per gallon of tank. So, a 10G would need at most a 50 watt heater. Having a more powerful heater is not wrong per se, but it increases the risk of cooking your tank if it should fail in the on position. This is why I prefer to run 2 smaller heaters that add up to the max wattage level.

Also, you need to consider the ambient temperature. In a generally warm room, there will be less need to heat the tank; and vice versa in a cold room.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Re: heater for a 10gal

its usually a cooler room, so it does have to work harder, I have a 100 in my other 10 and it did fine for the winter. I was going to get a 100 Aqueon pro but when a 200 was cheaper lol.
      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Working...
      X