300 watt heater okay for 10g?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 watt heater okay for 10g?

I've practically run out of my stockade of 50 watt heater and using my nano heater that claims it is suitable for a 10g.

I have a couple extra 300 watt heaters and thinking of using them for my 10g QT tank. What are your thoughts? Apart of me is scared to use the higher wattage because I'm afraid it might cook the fish overnight...

Re: 300 watt heater okay for 10g?

I was advised against a 200Watt in a 10 a while back so I think a 300 is way to risky. esspecially in QT
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Yeah...I was thinking the same thing.

So far my nano heater is heating my tank up...the one thing I don't like about nano heater is that it is preset.

Comment

Easiest way to find out is to test it in an empty tank. Personally I think it should work. I have a 500watt in a 20L.
        -Jonathan

Comment

If it is a quality heater, with a good thermostat, it should be ok. Rogue has a good idea of testing it in an empty tank. I'm running 300 watt heaters in both my 125 and my 29. They are doing a good job.
          Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

its more the failure point I worry about, any submerged electronic part will fail eventually just depends on if it fails on or off and when.
            -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Originally posted by pirahnah3
              its more the failure point I worry about, any submerged electronic part will fail eventually just depends on if it fails on or off and when.
              That is the danger. Many heaters go out when on and will end up cooking anything in a 10G tank.
              - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
              Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
              Socrates

Comment

Okay...I am going to use the 300 watt heater for the 10g QT tank...no choice.

I just checked the temperature of the water and it was 90 degrees...the nano heater sucks!!! well the preset one. Thankfully I decided to do daily WCs for this QT tank and caught it in time.

Comment

guess there is no choice at this point, might want to put that other one in a bucket of water and see if it keeps it at a constant temp even.
                  -Jim-

Comment

Working...
                  X