And yet another lighting question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: And yet another lighting question

I am so dense when it comes to this lighting stuff, I hate myself sometimes.

My 150G tank is 6' long. I bought 2 - 36" lighting units. This is what I got http://www.aquatraders.com/36-inch-4...re-p/52324.htm.

I stopped using the actinic lights because of the algae. I was just using the 10,000K bulbs for 8 hours a day. I have been reading that I should break up the photoperiod into 2 - 4 hr. sessions with about a 2-1/2 hr. rest period. And also that the 10,000K bulbs are a bit of overkill.

So I went to Lowe's today. I bought 2 - T5 bulbs. This is what I bought http://www.lowes.com/pd_156787-1390-...1215333&rpp=32.

I only bought 2 because I didn't know if they would work and if they were the right kind. They do fit the fixture and the lights work. But they are only 3500K each. So do I combine the 2 to say it's a 7000K output or did I just goof again and should just take them back.

Right now I have the lights set so the 2 brighter ones come on at 8 and go off at noon. Then at 2:30 the lesser lights come on and stay on until 6:30.

The tank is 28" deep and is planted.

So now that I have confused everybody and brought you all down to my level - will these 3500K bulbs work? Should I replace all the bulbs with these or should I just take these back and order something online?
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

From what I understand the color temps are bulb specific, meaning that those bulbs will emit light in the 3500K temp range, doubling the would just be 2 bulbs emitting 3500k temp light. I would advise shooting for bulbs closer to the 6-7000k range but lets see what the real plant geeks say.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

That's what I was afraid of. I really, really want to have a nice planted, all natural tank. But between the lighting and fertilizer, I think my head is going to explode .
      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I've felt like that for going on 6 months now! I wish I could tell you when it ends! lol!
        __________________________________________________ _____
        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Matt is correct in the the 3500k is the wavelength of light produced. Different ranges produce different color light.

Plants do best with 5000 - 10,000k light. Where 5000k is a bit pink and 10,000k is more white. Daylight bulbs, 6500k will produce yellow light.

The bulbs you've purchased will not provide the right kind of light to support photosynthesis and plant growth.

Hope that helps.
          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
          Socrates

Comment

Yes, it does. Thank you. I guess I will be returning those bulbs tomorrow and try to find some online. So my 10,000K ones are ok to keep using for now?

edit: I took out the ones I bought today and removed the actinic bulbs completely. Now I just have 2 bulbs in each unit. One bulb will run for 4 hours in the morning and one will run for 4 hours in the afternoon. It doesn't looks very bright in there, but it will have to do until I get my other bulbs.
            Last edited by oscarsbud; 03-21-2013, 02:53 PM. Reason: updating
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Working...
            X