Looking for 10g Light Fixture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 10g Light Fixture

So we threw some low light plants in the boyfriend's 10g tank, and now he's complaining that they don't look good because of the light, which I had already warned him about. Here's the bulb that originally comes with the light that we couldn't find to replace (deep blue just emailed me): http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Blue-1000...ds=%23ADB43108
    Currently we have an 8w standard florescent on it (not sure the K temp).

Do you guys think replacing the bulb with the proper one would work or do you have any recommendations for a better light fixture? It's near impossible to find this bulb because it's a t5no 8w bulb.
    ~Erin
    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

I think replacing the bulb with a full spectrum or daylight bulb might do the trick. On my 10G tanks, all I have on 2 of them is a cheap strip light I got at Lowe's and laid across the glass on top. And their plants are growing quite well.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

So you think the 10000k 8w should be alright Lori?
      ~Erin
      10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Actually, I think it might be a bit of overkill in a 10G tank. My strip lights are T12 20w daylight bulbs. I don't know what the K value is on there. It didn't say on the packaging.
        __________________________________________________ __________
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

For plants, I would aim for somewhere around 6,500k. I don't know how well 10,000k will grow plants. (I actually have no idea, not saying it won't)

Comment

This is no longer needed as I've upgraded him to a 20g L lol
            ~Erin
            10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Lol now you need a Light fixture for the 20
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
              2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
              1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
              40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
              "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I use two 10g light hoods on my 55 with four CFL 10w bulbs 2 in each. They work great for plants. See my thread with tank photos.
                sigpic

Comment

I too recommend using or adding CFL. There is nothing wrong with your current tube, unless it is more than 6 months old.

If you decide to use CFL make sure it is a true daylight bulb. Most are only 2300k which is the wrong spectrum for plant growth.
                  - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                  Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                  Socrates

Comment

Well this went onto the snail tank..but the bulb has died again so I think the hood is faulty. I'll likely get another of the same hood, because I've yet to find an issue with the other two lighting fixtures I have from deep blue, nor the filter or heater in the 10g.
                    ~Erin
                    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Do you have Meijer grocery stores around you? I found 10g and 20g hoods there for maybe $30 (don't quite remember) and it grows plants pretty well. Not high-light of course, but the water sprite is always exploding, java fern always needs trimming, anubiases putting out new leaves, etc. I've never had a bulb actually die so I would think you're right and it might be the hood.

I think they're Tetra brand if you can find them elsewhere, but I've only ever seen them at Meijer.

Comment

Unfortunately no, all we have is Wegmans, Tops and a couple of the cheaper in bulk stores.
                        ~Erin
                        10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Hmm I wonder who carries Tetra stuff that might have it. Does Walmart? I've never looked in their fish department.

Comment

I got another deep blue hood at my LFS, but this time I'm keeping the box and receipt in case anything goes wrong.
                            ~Erin
                            10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Working...
                            X