Odyssea T5HO lighting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odyssea T5HO lighting

I don't know if you guys have seen this 48" dual T5HO fixture for $60 but here is a link : http://www.aquatraders.com/48-inch-2x54 ... 52123p.htm

I've only had it for a couple days so i can't give an endorsement of it yet, however, I did want to mention I got the 48" fixture for my 48" 55g tank, makes sense right? Not to Odyssea, the light stands that secure it to your tank would only collapse to about 50", leaving me having to do surgery to get it to work. I was able to bend the long portions of the legs 180* back on themselves and it fits the tank perfect! Just go slowly, I broke one and had to solder it back together.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Re: Odyssea T5HO lighting

I have heard both good and bad about this fixture. Looking forward to hearing about your experience with the light.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

got any pics of it there "stock pic" leaves ALOT to be desired.... I am going to be looking for some lights so I am curious, I am also very curious about the mods you specified, so some pics of that would be good for me too. I can provide an email if you would rather thats up to you. Also do keep us posted as to how it does for the tank esspecially if you have any other lights to compare it to
      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

No problem, I will post some pics including the modified parts in the next couple days, my wife took the camera with her and our daughter to see relatives. I also need it to take those air pump repair pictures. Ironic that when I would finally have time to sit down and do it with the house to myself the cameras not here. :roll:

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

hmmmm sounds like an excuse for a new camera for the wife, this will get you a free pass at a future fish purchase too.
          -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B
            I don't know if you guys have seen this 48" dual T5HO fixture for $60 but here is a link : http://www.aquatraders.com/48-inch-2x54 ... 52123p.htm

I've only had it for a couple days so i can't give an endorsement of it yet, however, I did want to mention I got the 48" fixture for my 48" 55g tank, makes sense right? Not to Odyssea, the light stands that secure it to your tank would only collapse to about 50", leaving me having to do surgery to get it to work. I was able to bend the long portions of the legs 180* back on themselves and it fits the tank perfect! Just go slowly, I broke one and had to solder it back together.
            I have the same brand of lighting....I absolutely love it for the price that I got it for. The manufacturer sent me two lighting ballast. I think I paid $90 including shipping.

Instead of 2x54 watts, I have 4x54 watts. The great thing about this light it was cheap and came w/bulbs which later I downgraded to 6700k instead of the 10k it came with.

I did encounter the same thing that you did Matt about the legs.

Comment

Okay, heres one of it on the 55g, it clears my diy glass tops by about 1" (If anybody wants a link to diy sliding glass tops let me know)

These are the support legs after modification, if you can imagine, out of the box, the long portion that slides into the fixture was facing 180* the other way, exactly opposite from where I bent it to, so you can see it is too long the other way.

Here's one of it installed after mod. you can see where I broke it and had to solder it. ops:

This is my first HO fixture so I don't have much to compare it to, I've previously just used coralife T5NO which I was happy with. This ficture is doing its job though, so far so good.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

so that lower bend where you soldered insead of back towards the light was pointed out and away? Im just trying to get a visual here thats all.
                -Jim-

Comment

You are correct, it would have made more sense if I mentioned that when in its original form that "leg" belongs on the opposite end of the fixture, configured as you described. So I bent them and swapped sides.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

hmm if all that it needs is a little help fitting the tank top that aint too bad of a price.,
                    -Jim-

Comment

Great ingenuity; but keep a close watch on that fixture and your tank. HO lighting get very hot and is recommended to be at least 3 inches away from the glass top to allow the heat to disperse.
                      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                      Socrates

Comment

very good point, I had forgotten about that part. hmmm might not need to modify...
                        -Jim-

Comment

Originally posted by catsma_97504
                          Great ingenuity; but keep a close watch on that fixture and your tank. HO lighting get very hot and is recommended to be at least 3 inches away from the glass top to allow the heat to disperse.
                          Thanks for the head up Dena. I have been putting my hand under it and feeling the top because I was curious about the heat difference as this is my first HO fixture. Its obviously warm but doesn't feel "hot" and hasn't affected the temp of the tank. Overall the fixture itself feels comparable in temp to my T5NO I had previously on there, that one was however, sitting right on the glass pretty much.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                          X