29 Gallon Lighting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29 Gallon Lighting

So, my current plan for my new tank is to move my 24" T5HO fixture from my 20 gallon to a 30" long 29 gallon and hanging it over the tank. Seeing as the difference between a 24" and 30" is only the length, I don't know if I can justify buying a new fixture or not. Will there be a problem with the spread of light to the sides of the tank with the fixture falling 3 inches short on both sides? If not, any suggestions for a new fixture, I can't seem to pull myself away from the expensive fixtures that I cannot afford .

Re: 29 Gallon Lighting

Making a reflector will really help!

DIY LED fixtures are the way to go if you want a new fixture... just sayin' lol.
    -Jonathan

Comment

Yeah I would just do some type of reflector for the tank, and honestly I dont think that those 3inches on each side at the surface are going to matter really due to the light spreading out on its way down. You should be ok with it.

As for LEDs if you chose to do a DIY thing I would be very careful of what you get for LEDs and the wattage on them.
      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Hmm...I guess I can run it for a while and see how the light spreads. I'm not really sure how to add to the existing reflectors, is it just a bit of trial and error like any other DIY project?

I have been really thinking of building an LED fixture since I have all the tools to do it. It is just expensive for the parts needed, especially the heatsink and controller. I would love to have LED lighting with easily replaceable lights if something burnt out.

Comment

I use tinfoil to build reflectors. Just put a lid on the tank and line the inside with tinfoil. Looks good and reflects a lot of light.
          -Jonathan

Comment

Yeah tin foil is a cheap easy way to make a reflector.
            -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I wouldn't even worry about reflectors. Most of the 30" fixtures are just 24" bulbs in a longer housing anyway. (except coralife, I think). The 3" on each side isn't much of an issue anyhow.

Comment

Thanks, I didn't realize the bulbs were the same length too and a 36" fixture would be a waste, so I leave it alone unless a problem arises. I may have to use the tinfoil on my 10 gallon lighting on what I can't even count as a reflector, it doesn't help that the CFL's are mounted sideways too.

Comment

yeah prob need a reflector in there to help get all of the light into the tank.
                  -Jim-

Comment

Working...
                  X