Question about lighting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about lighting

I just purchased this lighting for my 150 gallon tank http://www.aquatraders.com/36-inch-4...re-p/52324.htm. I thought I had ordered the light with the 6500K bulbs but got the 10000K ones instead. I got 2 - 36" units instead of a single 72" unit so it would be easier for me to handle. There are 4 bulbs in each - 2 10000K and 2 actinic plus 3 LEDs. I run the white bulbs for 8 hours by themselves, then the actinic are on for 2 hours and then the moonlight ones run for 3.

The tank is 28" high and the lights sit about an inch above the top of the tank. The units came with leg brackets that would have put them about 3" higher but it didn't seem sturdy enough to me (I have cats that like to wander around on top of the tanks and watch the fish).

If I read Hoppy's chart correctly, it looks like I am dealing with medium lighting. So do I still need to replace these bulbs with the 6500K ones? Should I cut down on how long they run? My plants seem to be doing okay so far. I have a dirted tank and I use root tabs and do Flourish a couple times a week.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Actinic lighting does nothing for a planted tank. This type of lighting is used to grow algae. So, unless you have a tank full of algae eaters, you are going to want to replace the actinic bulbs.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

I have a couple of BN and some mystery snails and mts in there. They should take care of the algae, shouldn't they? Or I could just not use the actinic bulbs (but they look so cool after dark ).
      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

If you use the sparingly and more like a night light, it could work. Just keep an eye on the algae growth so it doesn't get out of hand.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

I only have it on for a couple of hours in the evening after the other lights go out. So hopefully, it won't cause a problem. Thank you for your help. I am really dense about the whole lighting thing.
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Working...
          X