Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost Fish + Powerful Bio Filter = Large Nitrates?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Fish + Powerful Bio Filter = Large Nitrates?

I'm posting this in a new thread so it won't take away from the other threads about the cycle, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this:

Reference: I cycled the tank with 2-3 ppm ammonia, as of Sunday it was cycled.

Woke up this morning and my whiptail catfish was upside down. No sign of disease or injury, believe it was stress of a new tank, it happens sometimes, but as any good fish keeper, I did a water test.

0 ppm ammonia
    0 ppm nitrite
    40 ppm nitrate?!

I was quite confused, as the tank is moderately planted, I had done a 90% water change on Sunday and then a 20% change yesterday and hadn't seen nitrate spikes this high at all during the entire cycle.

Is it possible that the fish death caused a large ammonia spike but the biofilter took it all out and just made it nitrate?
    ~Erin
    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Have you tested your tap water? I had one tank that had nitrate readings like that and my tank has a lot of plants also, but fortunately didn't lose a fish. Then it straightened out and now it runs around 15 or so.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Yep, my tap always runs 0/0/0.
      ~Erin
      10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Another idea may be the filter. Assuming during cycling it wasn't disturbed ie: cleaned. Maybe it is full of gunk, Canisters can be nitrate factories if dirty imo.
        __________________________________________________ _____
        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I did a wishy in tank water with the filter media yesterday, but should I have dumped the water out of the filter as well and refilled it?
          ~Erin
          10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

If its a canister the nastiest stuff is at the bottom so I would definitely dump it. Otherwise, 40 ppm isn't too bad considering all the biological activity the tank has seen in the last few days. I would monitor it and see if it calms down after a few wc's.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Thanks Matt I'll dump it out in the morning.
              ~Erin
              10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

sorry about your catfish...
                It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear about your fish Rae.

Sorry to hijack but this canister talk is interesting

I should be emptying out my canister water??

News to me! Im going to do a big clean of my canister today, pipes included, I just have no idea how to LOL! helps me please
                  When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

How long have you been using a Canister?

~Anthony

Comment

maybe 2 months? I cleaned the media out once and the spray bar once also.
                      When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Whew... I thought I was the only canister noob... what were you using before a canister?

~Anthony

Comment

well I used an internal filter with my old 29gal and then get a canister when I got my 63.5gal

Comment

This is how I clean my cans guys: Take it out place on a towel, pull all media except sponges and floss and rinse in bucket of dechlor water. Toss the floss and squeeze out the sponges in the canisters 3 gallons or so it still has in it. Dump and rinse canister, replace all media, fill it up so when you put the top on a little water squirts out and you're back in business.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                            X