Would you use Tetra Safe Start?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you use Tetra Safe Start?

I consider you guys my priceless brain trust. So...before I scorch my brain cells learning TSS inside and out, I pose this question:

If you were starting a new tank tomorrow would you use TSS instead of fishless cycling?

My tanks are all over stocked and I'm not crazy about taking a big chunk of my biomedia out. Recently I've tried a handful of the ceramic biomedia out of my Fluval 205 in a new tank and still had a mini cycle in the new tank.

I'm incredibly impatient and if it's a good product I'd like to try it.

Thanks in advance
    Chris (the 'h' is silent)

I've used it with very good results in the past, however mine was in addition to using media from another tank. I was simply playing it safe.

Comment

I have never used it. I used media from another filter.
      __________________________________________________ __________
      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I've used it with great result. You can also order active sponge filter from Angelplus
        Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Thanks so much for weighing in, ya'll!

Maybe some existing filter media + TSS is a recipe for success.

Comment

I always have used bio media from established tanks with great success, I also have sponge filters as backups. I guess if I didn't have those I would use it based on the opinions of others whom I respect.

As a side note when preparing to set up a new tank I feed the heck out of the fish in the tank I'm taking the bio media out of for 2 weeks or so, I reason that this beefs up the bb colony, then once I've moved the media to the new tank I stock as little as possible and feed both tanks very lightly for the first week or so. No mini cycles so far doing it this way, maybe I am super lucky.
            __________________________________________________ _____
            Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
            110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I have used TSS many times and always had good results it's how I cycled my big tank and it was cycled in 8 days I know no testing for 14 days I just couldn't resist I did it with my rainbows and mystery snails and all fared well throughout
              Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I have used TSS with good results before.
                sigpic

Comment

when preparing to set up a new tank I feed the heck out of the fish in the tank I'm taking the bio media out of for 2 weeks or so, I reason that this beefs up the bb colony, then once I've moved the media to the new tank I stock as little as possible and feed both tanks very lightly for the first week or so. No mini cycles so far doing it this way, maybe I am super lucky.
                  Hot tip, my man!

I have used TSS with good results before.
                  Again, thanks so much for the responses.

I'm thinking I'm gonna try it, probably in conjunction with some borrowed media.

Now the research...

Comment

If you need any help using the TSS you know where we are

Comment

If you need any help using the TSS you know where we are
                      Sure do! Thanks in advance, accepting help is something im very good at.

Comment

Tetra Safe Start, API Quick Start & Top Fin Bacteria Supplement...

I mostly use the Top Fin.... BUT Not as directed... example if I am setting up a 20 I will use 3 cap fulls and use 8 zebra danio's... within 3 days I always seem to have a cycled tank... readings ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 5-10ppm

I have done this with 15 tanks now... I'm going to be doing it again for a 40g this week at a friends BUT using 12 Zebra Danios and 5-6 cap full of Bacteria Supplement
                        It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                        As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Interesting, people usually say that non-TSS products don't seem to work, but you seem to have quite different results!

Comment

I know... I was even shunned before for even mentioning that I used Top Fin Beneficial Bacteria... BUT whatever... the fact is I use it with excellent results...I do not recommend using it with water changes and I do not recoomend using it with adding new fish... I have even monitored the tanks for several months with no water issues... and everyone is still happy with there tanks with only one gripe... the water changes...I've told them about python and aqueon water changer but they still haven't purchased that lol
                            It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                            As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I need to get me a water changer but spent all my money for this month and its only the 1st lol

Comment

Working...
                              X