Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• API color chart....which one is right?

so i purchased a fw master kit last summer. i recently started cycling a sw tank. i learned that the testing liquids are the same for fw and sw, but the color charts are different. i downloaded and printed the color charts from the API site. in testing the ph of one of my fw tanks i noticed a big difference in the test chart that came with my kit and the charts i printed (the online image is both fw and sw test paired for each test)
    heres a few pics
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fish 004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	141601
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fish 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	141602

the test chart i made is the larger one on the left, low range ph is in the bottom right corner, next to the test tube from my ram tank. the chart that came with the fw kit has a very different color graduation than the one i just printed.

which test chart do i believe? were talking a 0.4 ph
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

I think your printer can't print true PMS color range. I would go off by the color chart that was given from the test kit that says SW.

http://www.cal-print.com/InkColorChart.htm

Comment

I did get the new chart printed proffesionally and it looks identical to the web site.
      my concern id the 2 charts distinctly different colors attributed to the same ph value.
      My original card had practically identical green color for 6.8, 7.0, and 7.2
      The api color chart online has different colors for 2 of those value: 7.0 is lt blue and7.2 is bright blue

Which is an accurate respresentation of ph value?
      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Your card that came with the kit looks very similar to mine. It is possible that the online chart has been updated to match the formula changes in the reagents. The last Ammonia kit I purchased came with a different color key than the one I had just completed. I assume you are experiencing a similar issue attempting to reconcile the different charts.

I'd follow the card that came with the kit.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

Had my ph tested with a different brand, came back 7.....matching the Internet card not the one that came with the kit.

Comment

hmm maybe the new cards beat the new chemical kits?
            -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
            If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
            Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Its a consistant difference between the two cards....I'm wondering if my kit came out when the printer was low on ink.
              Oh the api chart on the wall at the lfs testing station looked like the Internet card, not my original as well.
              it does make me feel bad...if the baby blue is 7.0 ive had my ph way low for my poor snails for months

Comment

Working...
              X