Cleaned both Canister filters last night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned both Canister filters last night

I haven't cleaned my CF 400 in probably over 9+ months and boy it was like sludge. My poly fil complete sludge reminded me of a lakebed. The other canister filfter CF 500 was probably cleaned 2 months ago...I'm pretty glad I did clean both of them because to my amazement, I found 20-30 RCS (from shrimplets, juvies and adults and 2 berried females) in both canisters.

I also attached a sock to the outflow pipe so I wouldn't get grud back into the tank when I restart my canister.

Last edited by AmazonPassion; 03-08-2013, 11:06 AM.

That's something I need to do and I am really dreading it. I have 3 of them and I know it's been at least 6 months for 2 of them. I don't think I have to worry about finding any critters unless some snails got sucked up into there.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Icky job CJ ill have to do mine one day but not for a while congratulations on finding your shrimp
      Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I clean mine once a month lol.

Cool that you found so many RCS!
        -Jonathan

Comment

how do you clean yer pipes without completely taking the system apart
          When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Congrats on the RCS!! And that's a great idea with the sock; I just had a tube running back out of the tank and into a bucket and I tried to siphon crud as it came out. Didn't work so well

Comment

Lol love the sock... And what's with no pictures of the shrimp...
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
              2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
              1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
              40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
              "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsbud View Post
                That's something I need to do and I am really dreading it. I have 3 of them and I know it's been at least 6 months for 2 of them. I don't think I have to worry about finding any critters unless some snails got sucked up into there.
                Yeah, I was dreading too...but I have been noticing that I got a lot gunk floating in my water column so I finally decided to bit the bullet, didn't know it was pure sludge in one of my canisters....

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                Icky job CJ ill have to do mine one day but not for a while congratulations on finding your shrimp
                The only way to go...

Originally posted by RogueAgent94 View Post
                I clean mine once a month lol.

Cool that you found so many RCS!
                I always say that I am going to clean my canisters but I run out of time

Originally posted by Al :D View Post
                how do you clean yer pipes without completely taking the system apart
                I never do ...my pipes are gunky that is why I do the sock

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
                Congrats on the RCS!! And that's a great idea with the sock; I just had a tube running back out of the tank and into a bucket and I tried to siphon crud as it came out. Didn't work so well
                I always get tired of seeing the gunk spew into my tank after I turn back my canisters on...and it is hard to pull my hoses behind my tank..no room on each side.

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                Lol love the sock... And what's with no pictures of the shrimp...
                Yeah, no pictures of the RCS...was running out of time last night...I just wanted the canisters clean and it was hard looking for all the shrimps and shrimplets out of the canister water....yew....

Comment

I also clean mine out about once a month to every other month. The one on my 75g looks like an MTS graveyard on the inlet and in the bottom of the filter. Darn things know I don't like them... haha

Comment

Guess now you know why the angels weren't eating all your RCS. The shrimp were hiding in the filters...lol. Can't believe your filter was still functional after 9 months! Bet your water flow has picked up too.
                    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                    Socrates

Comment

I couldn't believe that they were alive in that one filter. Now, I must make a habit in cleaning my filters once a month (that is going to be hard one for me).

Comment

That is amazing that they were there, a little secret society!
                        When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Originally posted by Al :D View Post
                          That is amazing that they were there, a little secret society!
                          Lol. Hidden until I took them from the darkness and delivered into the light.

Comment

Unless they were planning a take over of the above filter land and you foiled their plans haha

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/182e...g/original.jpg

Rcs unite, prepare to invade the above filter lands, we shall take back our true birth place, ahhhhhHHHHHH attack!
                            Last edited by RogueAgent94; 03-09-2013, 07:47 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Comment

Lol shrimpcropolis
                              Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Working...
                              X