my tank is cloudy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my tank is cloudy

Hello I was at the lake this weekend and my Step brother fed my tank when I was gone he over fed and today when I came back the water was a little cloudy andand threw a little cube of freeze dried brine shrimp and one Angelfish bit off of it and left it alone and the other Angelfish didn't even bother it I was shocked and I looked on the aquarium floor and there was a lot of food on the ground I poked the ground with a fish net to get food off the ground (i dont have a gravel vac but i will get one i think my corydora died either because of water conditions or it over ate)and I did a 50% Wc and added prime but its been a couple hours and it is still cloudy...I don't have a water test kit yet please halp...and plus the funny part is that my step mom and my dad said u r probably doing to many water changes...I do it once a week
    Last edited by Cody J; 03-18-2013, 03:57 PM.

Hi Cody.

Well, without being there myself, I can only venture a guess as to what's happened. If you can, I would get an API Master Test kit as that can help greatly.

My assumption without much more information is that you're currently dealing with a bacterial bloom. I'mm imagining that the overfeeding probably led to more waste than your bio-filter could handle. Which would explain the death of the fish and the odd acting others. A test kit could really tell the answer though.

BTW, you're not doing too many water changes, keep up the good work. If I were you, I would change the water about 20 - 30% daily and treat with Prime until you get a test kit and can confirm. Good luck and keep us posted!

Comment

Overfeeding is definitely the issue. Have you cleaned out your filters? If not I'd do that. You're on the right track with the largish waterchanges and prime. I'd expect your tank to be clear in a couple days. But definitely get a test kit when you can. Amazon has them pretty cheap.
      -Jonathan

Comment

I also think getting a gravel vac like you plan is a great idea, there can be a lot of decaying detritus stuck down in there there that could cause water quality issues.
        __________________________________________________ _____
        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Oh my gosh! You've gotten some good advice. Extra water changes and Prime.

Yup, you need a gravel vac. Overfeeding sounds like the culprit. Hope you get things back on track in a few days.
          Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 03-18-2013, 06:06 PM.
          Christine

Comment

I use a garden hose instead of a gravel vac. Works faster usually. Just be careful not to suck up any fish.
            -Jonathan

Comment

I agree that the hose is much faster, what I do if Im worried about small fish is to vac out the window into a 5gal bucket and just put a screen cloth over it and use an elastic or something to hold it to the top. My large tank is right next to a window so the grass out there is always happy lol. just need to sneak the hose into the bucket thru a side and you should catch most anything that comes out of your tank in it.
              -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
              If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
              Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
              Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

What I've heard of others doing as well is is take some mesh, wrap it over the end in the tank and then secure it in place with some left over rubber bands from their fish bags.

Comment

My tank is clear

Comment

Yay! I love when I can see the fish!
                    __________________________________________________ _____
                    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Excellent news Cody
                      Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Nice! Thanks for the update.

Comment

Glad to hear!!
                          Christine

Comment

Working...