Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To sand or not to sand!

Hai my lovely fish friends!

I just spent the day taking the sand out of my tank and not sure whether or not to put it back in after a hefty cleaning... I am 95% sure it was the cause for my tank surfaces turning brown every second day from diatoms... my nitrates were and are low so I ruled that out (I do daily 25/40% water changes)

It is super fine sand, almost like powder so does anyone have a good tip on how to clean such fine sand? it took me a long time the first time (in a bucket, swishing it around with water then pouring the water out and repeating) and it looks like I didn't get it clean enough.

I do feel I should have sand in my tank as I have corydoras sterbai and I know they loved having a good nuzzle in it but at the same time, having to scrub out every surface and decoration every second day was obviously stressing out my fish so it just is not longer an option to have such a diatom plague destroying my tank...

Any input and advice is very welcomed!

I hope you are all well,

Al
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

I haven't done much research on it but is it possible for snails or otos to live in the high water temps? I'm assuming this is the discus tank... I know Nerites would help a ton with diatoms and otos have been a huge help for me...
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Okay after watching the fishes behavior for a few hours its clear to see they are happier without the sand, the sterbai seem absolutely fine too, if I do see them developing any signs of stress I will move them to my 30gal QT tank with sand so them can nuzzle their hearts out, but as it stands everyone seems much happier.
      When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

So now what are you using, or aren't you using any substrate at all?
        __________________________________________________ __________
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Barebottom tank right now, I dont want to use gravel, I may still wash the sand and put it back in, but I am going to leave it like this unless I see signs of stress...

Comment

I am using pool filter sand in one tank and the other big tank is half play sand and half gravel. But mine isn't super fine like yours. I haven't had a problem with diatoms - so far.
            __________________________________________________ __________
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I dont think I washed my sand well enough, I am putting it down to that, my nitrates are always about 10/15 ppm so it's not high nitrates. I am going to see if the problem keeps coming back but I really hope this stops it... it was unmanageable as it was, I do what I can for my fish but I also want to get my own enjoyment from them too, a 2 hour cleaning session every second day on top of doing daily water changes does not fit the bill for enjoyment lol!!

Comment

The sand could have been the cause. Could have been releasing silicates into the water which would cause the diatom growth. If everyone seems fine then I would just leave it be. Good luck!
                -Jonathan

Comment

Time for black sand substrate
                  It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                  As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I would love some black sand, just cant seem to find it over here...

EDIT - found some lol

http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/JBL...Sand-5kg//5563
                    Last edited by aFISHionado; 04-07-2013, 09:34 PM.

Comment

I could mail you 3 bags of black sand OR black diamond blasting sand

~Anthony

Comment

Thanks Anthony! I found some and edited my last post, plus I imagine posting sand would cost an arm and a leg!!!!

Comment

Sweet....

~Anthony

Comment

I would think it was the silicates too Al. When I rinse playsand which is super fine where I get it, I use the bucket method but let it overflow and expel probably 1/3 of the sand, the finer stuff likes to stay suspended longest so it tends to be the bulk of what overflows the bucket imo.
                            __________________________________________________ _____
                            Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                            110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

So is that sand lost? I think I'm gonna buy the black sand

Comment

Working...
                              X