should i

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i

Should I take my fish out while doing a wc because I haven't done a wc since I haven't done ever since I got my tank

I don't remember how big your tank is, but personally I wouldn't. You can do a pretty big wc and as long as the fish can still stay upright, they should be ok.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Why havent you done a wc? How long has it been? I never take my fish out, why do you think you should take yours out? am I missing something?
      When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

I mean gravel vacuum >.<

Comment

Ah okay, that changes things... maybe do one half of the gravel this week, wait 7 days and do the other half then? To be honest I don't know if this is good advice but depending on how much media you have in your filter and what its gph flow rate is, it could be possible that the beneficial bacteria in your substrate is significant to your tanks nitrogen cycle. Again... I am not really sure if this is true but it is more of an un/educated guess (depending on whether I am correct or not! lol)
          When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

I never take fish out to gravel vac my tank. Just watch and make sure none get sucked up. Sometimes corries can be REALLY stupid.
            -Jonathan

Comment

But how often did u vacuum?

Comment

My corries chase the siphon lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cody J View Post
                  But how often did u vacuum?
                  I vac once a week usually. My tank has so many plants in it that there isn't much space to vac so I usually vacuum any substrate I can reach without destroying plants.
                  -Jonathan

Comment

Is my above advice correct/necessary rogue?

Comment

Keep the fish in the tank while doing a gravel vac. Instead of focusing on the amount of gravel that is cleaned, just focus in cleaning the area. Start in one corner, shove the gravel tube clear through to the bottom glass plate. Do not move it until all debris has been lifted. Then, move the gravel tube about an inch. and repeat.

Once your tank has been drained 50% or the amount you want to change, then stop and make a note of where you've left off. This is where you will start with the gravel cleaning with your next water change.

Ideally the gravel is completely cleaned once a month. With live plants the rules are very different.

Hope that helps.
                      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                      Socrates

Comment

It does thanks everybody

Comment

Originally posted by aFISHionado View Post
                          Is my above advice correct/necessary rogue?
                          Mostly yes. The vast majority of people I know usually vac their tank in the same pattern that you suggested. However the whole bacteria thing doesn't really come into play unless it is a new tank seeded with gravel. 99% of bacteria is found in the filter so you don't have to worry about disturbing the bacteria in your substrate.
                          -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                          X