NOOB filter mistake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOOB filter mistake

Oh so everything was going so well... then I realized my filter wasn't turning over water as fast as it used to and thought it might be time to open it up and rinse it out. Once I started, I couldn't stop and kept thinking "oh let me just take care of this section too so I don't have to open this filter up so many times" and ended up rinsing more than half the filter. BAD ME.

Now I have cloudy water. I don't think I changed anything else at the same time so I'm pretty sure it was the filter cleaning that threw my tank out of balance. (I'm still understocked and ammonia is still at zero so I think it's mostly an aesthetic thing going on, but WOW SO ANNOYING.

Been doing 50% water changes once a day.

Any other suggestions?

Oh cripes... I'm now at work panicking because I'm not 100% sure I turned the filter back on last night after refilling the tank after the last water change. Darn thing is so silent... I think I did... but now I'm not sure so I'll be worrying about that ALL DAY. UGH!
    Gingerone's Tanks:
    55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
    20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
    Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

As long as your parameters stay in order I wouldn't worry about a bacterial bloom too much, best to wait it out or turn on your UV if you have it imo, I would, however be a little worried if there was no filter or any other source of agitation all day depending on tank size and stock.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B View Post
      As long as your parameters stay in order I wouldn't worry about a bacterial bloom too much, best to wait it out or turn on your UV if you have it imo, I would, however be a little worried if there was no filter or any other source of agitation all day depending on tank size and stock.
      It's extremely unlikely that I forgot to turn it back on, I'm just paranoid sometimes because I can't specifically remember doing it. I will probably swing home (unnecessarily most likely) on my lunch break just to double check.
      Gingerone's Tanks:
      55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4

Comment

Breath...Breath... Everything will be alright :-)
        It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
        As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I went home... of course the filter was running. But it's okay... the trip wasn't all for naught... got my laundry in my car now so after work I can go directly to my laundrymat (a.k.a. friend's house) to get it all done asap!
          Gingerone's Tanks:

Comment

I'm glad it was on I do that all the time my short term memory is atrocious I'm always constantly did I lock the did I pull the shutter down at work did I close the window did I lock the safe. The worst is when I add prime before adding new water on a water change and then half way through have a panic I have to leave the bottle out so I know I have. Ill drive myself nuts one day
            Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

LoL...I bet your friend would be happy to know you consider their house the laundrymat lol
              It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
              As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Working...
              X