Cleaned my filter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned my filter

WOW... That will be happening more often...

Just opened my canister... It was full of sand.. and I turn off my filter during water changes! Also the water in there was like gravy.... LOL!

So this is what I did...

Took out media and put it in tank water, rinced it around in the water a bit..

Rinced out main body of filter with fresh water nd got out 95% of the sand.

Put media back in filter and poured in warm dechlorinated water.

Is there anything i missed or did wrong?

Also I tried to look up how to clean out the filter pipes in an efficient way but I can't find anything useful can anyone walk me through how to do it?
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Sounds good to me...thanks for the reminder, I have to get a tube cleaner for my filter lines...
    It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
    As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I thought I heard someone used some test tube cleaning brushes or similar, I actually just gave one of my canisters a full clean over the weekend, yeah it was a mucky mess.
      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I explain how I clean my filter tubing in this thread Al: http://www.everythingaquatic.net/for...-Looking-Spots

I kind of dread opening the cans up, so yucky.
        __________________________________________________ _____
        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

It did not smell good lol
          When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

How often do you do canisters? I'm debating purchase for the new 55
            Robin
            55g, 10g, 5g
            55g and another 10g being planned.

Comment

when I was contemplating the canister I was "told" twice a year... BUT what I seem to have realized that you have to rinse your media out about every month if not more... no biggy.... clean the tubing because it happens to new canisters... and if your tubing is too long then you will also get air...how I dont know BUT it does....

I am happy with my purchase... that has yet to be seen... I will know after a year if it was actually worth it...

~Anthony

Comment

I dont mind increased maintenance, remember I move my washer and dryer every week or so. I'm looking for quiter and better filtration, since the new tank will have more fishies than the pesent one. Everything is in the TV room, and if Paul turns up the tele any louder I'll go deaf. Already part way there, he he.
                Robin
                55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Once a month I think is recommended ZC! I think you should get one, a tank the size of a 55 would benefit from a canister imho

Comment

Well the canister "WAS" Suppose to decrease maintenance, hence the price... LoL.... none the less its done and I don't mind it :-)

~Anthony

Comment

I was thinking of the SunSun because of costs. I think there was just a thread about them and less than optimal instructions, so I'm a little nervous. I'd like to switch the existing 55 over as well, or use in conjuction with the 350 HOB.

I know nothing about this, so I'm concerned about availability of media/parts and tech support.
                      Last edited by zombiecat03; 04-16-2013, 08:22 PM.
                      Robin
                      55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Im a noob but others on here im sure will be your tech support

Comment

Originally posted by zombiecat03 View Post
                          I was thinking of the SunSun because of costs. I think there was just a thread about them and less than optimal instructions, so I'm a little nervous. I'd like to switch the existing 55 over as well, or use in conjuction with the 350 HOB.

I know nothing about this, so I'm concerned about availability of media/parts and tech support.
                          I have an Aquatop, which is the new name for SunSun (same product) and I love it! I didn't have a problem setting it up at all. (By "I" I mean my boyfriend, of course ) Super easy to disconnect from the tank to clean out the canister, without spilling any water. Tons of space for filter media. I fill it up with my own media, so no worrying about availability. UV sterilizer for floating baddies like ich and floating algae. My ONLY complaint is that it was a little greasy when I got it, but it came with a piece of paper that said there may be residual grease from manufacturing and to wash it before use. Oh, and the UV bulb burn out, but that isn't their fault Plenty powerful for my 55 gallon, not noisy either.

Comment

Anyone got a link to a good hose brush they use?
                            ~Erin
                            10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

I have several Aquatops/SunSuns, I am totally satisfied with them and clean every 3 months or so, the instructions may leave something to be desired but a little logic will get you through the process just fine. They have meddia baskets so replacing isn't a problem, buy whatever foam, floss, sponges or bio media you want and cut to fit or put it in the tray, I don't think I have any of the original media in mine.

I use a brush similar to this : http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Marina-F...rds=hose+brush

Its not long enough so I made a linkage dealy out of heavy gauge wire to clean my 6' hoses.
                              __________________________________________________ _____
                              Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                              110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                              X