This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime... Does it go bad?

Is prime supposed to smell like rotten eggs? I can't for sure remember what it smelled like when I first got it but now it just seems to smell really strongly. Is this normal? Should it be stored a certain way?
    Gingerone's Tanks:
    55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
    20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
    Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

I just bought a new bottle today... it has a bad smell I would relate it to a dead fish left sitting in water for a few weeks... not rotting eggs... and I can't help with storage I just keep it sitting on top of the fish tank...
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

It has a sulfur smell-rotting eggs

I keep mine in the pantry
      Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

I don't see an expiration date on the bottle and I know Aquasafe has an exp. Date the Kordon doen't have one either. I can't imagine it would go bad, unless it were a few years old. It stinks pretty bad. I got some one my shoe and walked around for a week looking to see if the cats or dogs had dragged something in the house!
        Robin
        55g, 10g, 5g
        55g and another 10g being planned.

Comment

I find that different bottles have differing strengths of the characteristic sulfer stench.

Comment

It definitely smells like feet
            Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Over time the smell can get stronger. Yes, it smells putrid near the end of a large bottle. It does not expire that I am aware of.
              - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
              Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
              Socrates

Comment

My son's feet still beat it but just barely. Do the old bottles just be ome more concentrated, or does the smell leach into the plastic causing a more pungent odor?
                Robin
                55g, 10g, 5g
                55g and another 10g being planned.

Comment

I honestly could not say. It could be something as simple of basic oxidation that occurs while dosing the product. I no longer notice the smell until I get down to the very bottom. Just make sure to not hold it under my nose where I could catch a whiff. Pew.
                  - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                  Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                  Socrates

Comment

Thanks!!! I worry about everything I think.
                    Gingerone's Tanks:
                    55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
                    20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
                    Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

Comment

Well... I guess now you have one less thing to worry about
                      It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                      As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Re: Prime... Does it go bad?

Yes it's normal for seachem prime to smell like that if you worried about shelf life look on bottle for the date of expiry
                        Using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Prime... Does it go bad?

All chemicals have a shelf life of course but it's generally a lot longer then a few years generally. I'm sure prime would label it if it weren't. I wouldn't think it's gone bad.
                          My life is chemical. Blood laced with status quo.
                          "I am a firm believer that if you love something enough you set it in a small cage and pester and smother it with love until it either loves you back or dies." Mindy Kaling

Comment

Working...
                          X