My big tank is cloudy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: My big tank is cloudy?

At least it looks it to me I can't rely soley on my eyes at the moment but I am worried non the less.

Could the snail army be causing an algae bloom or a mini cycle?

Is it time to do what I have been putting off for so long yet knew I probably would have to in the end? (Cull)

I'm sad and worried I don't want my fishy babies to suffer because I'm too weak to remove a few dozen snails
    Never underestimate the power of a smile

Did the cloudiness just start or has it always been like that? How are the readings in your tank? Maybe you are getting a little too much detritus from your army.

My 75G tank and the betta boys tanks are always clear but the 150G is never crystal clear. I attribute it to the huge piece of grapevine that is floating in the tank. I also have and Indian almond leaf floating in there, which probably also makes it appear that way. My readings are all where they are supposed to be and everybody is acting okay and eating fine so I don't worry about it.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

It happened overnight which is a little strange the parameters I didn't have time to check as we had to go to the hospital. We are now on our way to the LFS but once we get back I will check.

Everyone seems fine and was begging for food as usual this morning when I reached in to remove Bing and Bong I got a little nipped too the monkeys

I think I am pretty much putting it down to the snails some of them have to go which makes me sad

Comment

That's too bad that you have to thin out your army. I was kind of looking forward to snailmageddon .
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Lol thank you I'm sorry I have to do it but at this point it's either my snails or my fish and the fish win.

I still have a mass in snailtopia so ill still have a little army

Comment

Oh no to cloudiness, sounds like a mini cycle...

Lori, what filtration are you using in your 150g?
            It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
            As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I have an Aqua-Tech 30-60 HOB and 2 canisters, a Fluval 305 and AquaTop CF-400.
              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Wow all that on your 150 and its still cloudy?... I don't understand why...
                It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Yeah, don't want to hijack Sarah's thread - I have a thread started on doing ferts in that tank and will be posting about it there after I take today's readings.
                  Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

It's cool your not hijacking and it is on topic

Mine I am putting down to too many snails they have gone from being cute to being a pest as unlike the snails keepers I envy I have little options over here

Comment

Get some loaches Sarah. They like to eat snails. I am always dropping snails into my 125G for the Clown Loaches. They forget to hide as they find the snails irresistible.

Something to consider.

As for the cloudiness look straight down into your tank. What color is it? Green or white?
                      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                      Socrates

Comment

Hello Dena I didn't think my tank was big enough for loaches? I have removed 70ish from the big tank I feel like poo but it had to be done.

The water looks like it has bits floating in it? I have tested and the parameters are normal I would have done a water change but I don't want to stress out my new fish I was made an offer I couldn't refuse

The water doesn't look white or green. Hopefully it will settle now I'm planning on doing a water change tomorrow. For today I have added prime as I had to top up after filling another tank and have added fish protector and will add vitachem at dinner time

Comment

There are smaller types of loaches that could easily work in your tank. Just not Clown Loaches.
                          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                          Socrates

Comment

Pangio Kuhli loaches are super cool http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pangio-kuhlii

Comment

I would love to get some loaches we only see the usual ones in my neck of the woods.
                              I've just added 10 ottos as they were pretty big and was offered them at 50p each but I'm always open to adding new fish

Comment

Working...
                              X