This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising GH

It seems my water is VERY soft. I have been using crushed coral in all of my tanks except my betta's to riase the ph from almost 6 back up to about 7.2. Even still my gh is too low for my shrimp which is causing molting issues. I went in search of products that will raise gh without raising ph and found a product called Aquavitro Mineralize. I'm still trying to figure out how to use it, but it is supposed to be geared towards plants. Any reasons this wouldn't work in a shrimp tank? It contains Calcium chloride, calcium gluconate, and magnesium chloride. Are those safe to use with shrimp or dangerous in anyway?

Being that you already have a calcium source but lacking Magnesium you just need to add Epsom Salts to raise GH; Magnesium Sulfate.. Thats what AquaVitro looks to be is just Calcium and Magnesium.
    Christine

Comment

Any attempts to raise the GH will also affect the balance with KH and pH. This subsystem will also keep these 3 components in balance. Fighting it will be futile.

What are your current KH and GH levels? It may be possible your molt issue has nothing to do with the buffers. My RCS are in very soft water and are successfully molting and breeding. Just last night I counted 60 tiny shrimplets.
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

My current gh is 3(53.7ppm) kh was 2(35.8ppm). I have about 2 tablespoons of crushed coral in my filter for my 10 gallon and those are the levels with that already added. Ph is 7.2 and temperature is 74. The man I bought my orange shrimp for looked at my numbers and told me to feed less protein and increase my gh by adding a remineralizer especially for shrimp. However, those aren't available in my area. I guess part of my concern is when I do water changes with water that is so much different than what is in the tank already. He suggested I add a remineralizer to my water before I add it to my tank.

I've had shrimp since last July and have steadily lost them and never had any shrimplets. Back then I didn't realize how much my ph had dropped and that my water was so soft.

Comment

Then I would add a bit more crushed coral and try working with Epsom Salt. Epsom Salt is MgSO4 and will only affect the GH which is a measure of both calcium and magnesium.

What are you feeding your shrimp? I use a variety that includes shrimp pellets, veggie wafers, fresh veggies and Repashy. I feed mine 3 times a week on average.

My tank is also a dirted/planted tank. So the shrimp are picking microorganisms and eat decaying plant matter.

Good luck with your shrimp.
          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
          Socrates

Comment

I can't really help with dosing but when I started to have trouble with the shrimp I added a couple shells or pieces of cuttle bone. They'd go and sit on that and molt or whenever the eggs were hatching.
            -Jonathan

Comment

I have a piece of that in one of my shrimp tanks, but I never see the shrimp on it...only the snails.

I was feeding the occassional shrimp pellet and repashy shrimp souffle but mostly kens veggie sticks with calcium. The seller said that has some sort of protein in it that can lead to failed molts when used too often. I also have thrown in blanched zucchini but only see the snails on it, not the shrimp. He recommended primarily barley pellets and blanched organic spinach.

I'm starting to think I'm worrying over nothing. I'll try to raise the gh a bit and then just wait and see. I don't want to mess with the parameters too much. I've got a good mix of males and females this time around, and already see a few saddled, so maybe things will turn in my favor soon.

Comment

I think you have received great information about the gh and kh stuff and don't have anything else to add.

However, have you considered raising Caridina shrimps intead? They favor your water parameters.

Comment

I just told my husband that the other day. If I can keep these shrimp happy first, then I might add to my collection.

Comment

I agree, Dena has hit it spot on for the GH part.
                    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X