Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are seashells safe to put in a freshwater tank?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Are seashells safe to put in a freshwater tank?

Hello
    As I am planning my new 14 gallon I am working out the hard scape I have an abundance of seashells that used to belong to my Nan I was wondering if they would be safe to use? Ill post some pictures once I've had some food some of them are really pretty
    Never underestimate the power of a smile

I think as long as they are cleaned up properly they should be ok to use. I don't know if they contribute to the calcium in the water. I know I leave the mystery snail shells in the water when they die and the other snails clean them out.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Yeah they should be fine. I have some in my tank. Just wash them really well. They'll harden your water though.
      -Jonathan

Comment

Thank you water parameters shouldn't be a problem as its going to be snailtopia for a while anyway so the added calcium should help

Comment

I have used them for years to breed shell dwelling Tang cichlids. As stated, if they are clean, they should be no issue other than water hardening.
          The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

Agreed. As they will be going into your snail haven, I don't see any issues. Just make sure they are not painted with anything that could be harmful in an aquarium and you should be good.
            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
            Socrates

Comment

Thank you I'm all excited now and just realised I forgot to post some pictures ill take some now watch this space some of them are so pretty

Here are some pictures some of the colours are beautiful some of these shells are older than me they were my Nans she died before I got into fish before I met Oliver so I've had these a fair few years too I'm happy to be able to use some of them.
              I think there are too many to use them all lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365066773.467935.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	137958

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365066808.681072.jpg
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	137959

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365066824.711340.jpg
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	137960

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365066841.214709.jpg
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	137961

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365066870.947021.jpg
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	137962

A couple more to follow
              Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 01-05-2014, 11:27 PM. Reason: Merged posts, housekeeping

Comment

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365066904.982040.jpg
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	137963

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365066918.567166.jpg
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	137964

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365066931.259805.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	137965

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365066942.434051.jpg
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	137966

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365066955.101118.jpg
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	137967

At least when I finally so saltwater ill have some shells for the tank

Comment

I love the green one in the 2nd to last pic! She was quite the shell collector though
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                  2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
                  1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
                  40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
                  "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Thank you Sean the pictures don't do them justice. A couple of them have been polished and they look so very pretty.

We have just decorated the kitchen now into the living room. Oliver has just randomly said that I set up the new tank today it will be easier than doing it tomorrow as we are going to the LFS tomorrow? Who is this man and what have they done with Oliver lol

Comment

Lol... Don't argue with it just go with the flow
                      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Love those shells. Especially like the black and white swirly looking one. LOL @ Oliver - it's all that whispering in his ear while he is sleeping "you like fish, you want another fish tank, you like fish" that is finally paying off .
                        __________________________________________________ __________
                        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I may be wrong, but I wouldn't use the coral, the one in the first picture. My parent have a bunch of dead coral that they decorated their SW tank with many years ago, and they said not to put it in a FW tank because it will leach salt. I don't know for sure that they're right of course, but maybe stick with the shells because people have experience using those safely

Comment

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
                            I may be wrong, but I wouldn't use the coral, the one in the first picture. My parent have a bunch of dead coral that they decorated their SW tank with many years ago, and they said not to put it in a FW tank because it will leach salt. I don't know for sure that they're right of course, but maybe stick with the shells because people have experience using those safely
                            Honestly I haven't ever heard that... I've seen some coral pieces in freshwater setups... I think it could be fine but research it first...
                            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
                              It would be no different than using crushed coral. It will raise the hardness.
                              - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                              Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                              Socrates

Comment

Working...
                              X