This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering PH

My water out of the tap used to be about 7.5, but for some reason my ph from the tap is at a wopping 8.5 now. I have no idea why the water company raised it, but I am not comfortable knowing that the ph is that high. My two other tanks have DIY co2 on them, so they will lower the ph to about 6.5. However, my goldfish tank does not have co2 to save the day. What are some ways to bring the ph back to a more neutral level?

The only thing I know of that does it naturally is driftwood and that's not.by much... I am sure someone here will know a better answer... Maybe chemicals are the way to go for you?
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

1. There's not necessarily anything wrong with a higher pH. Mine was 8.2ish for awhile and I had no problems.

2. CO2 should only lower the pH by 1.0, assuming you're shooting for 30ppm.

3. I know adding Indian almond leaves softens the water; I never tested the pH while I used them so I'm not sure if it'll drop the pH too or not. I'm sure someone else will know. I think you can also use baking soda, but I don't quite remember. I've never really messed with my pH, whatever the water company gives me, I take

Comment

Let me test my water in a bit I just added ial last night and my tap is 7.8 ill let you know the difference... And baking soda raises the kh(hardness?) Which will raise the ph... Some use it for invert tanks...
        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
        2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
        1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
        40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
        "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
          Let me test my water in a bit I just added ial last night and my tap is 7.8 ill let you know the difference... And baking soda raises the kh(hardness?) Which will raise the ph... Some use it for invert tanks...
          Lol woops jk I knew it did something with pH. No baking sods then!

Comment

Before making assumptions aerate untreated tap water for a day and test the pH. Repeat every day until there is no change to pH. This is the water's actual pH level.

What is the pH in you goldie tank?
            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
            Socrates

Comment

The goldfish tank has a air stone in it, the ph was at around 8.5. The fish seem fine in both tanks.

Comment

Zombie's question/concern has been moved to its own thread at http://www.everythingaquatic.net/for...with-driftwood.

This thread is about TayJay's tank and concerns.
                - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Um, I don't know if any of you used the stuff but I have a bottle of pH down and a bottle of pH up, I haven't needed to use the pH down so I could tell you if it even works pH up on the other hand I have used for the brine shrimp hatching which worked just fine...so maybe a bottle of pH down will work for you...

Is your driftwood manzanita? Everything I read on that says it lowers pH
                  Last edited by AquaAnt; 04-19-2013, 10:05 PM. Reason: Merged posts- OOPS.... this driftwood statement was suppose to be on ZC's post dont know how it posted here
                  It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                  As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

pH is always held in balance with the KH and GH levels. Lower GH and the pH will adjust accordingly; raise KH and the pH will increase. Balance is a must with this system. pH Down is nothing more than an acid that has an immediate affect on pH. It's drawback is that it does not alter the hardness levels. So, pH will soon bounce back to its natural level. And, it is this bounce that will stress, if not kill, the inhabitants.

Unless the user has a complete understanding of how this product affects pH its use can end in disaster. For this reason I do not recommend it. Instead using pounds of driftwood (and I mean pounds! I have 40 pounds in a 125G and it does not affect the pH), adding a small mountain of peat to the filter, using IAL or even plain old fashioned black tea will help lower pH. But as each of these options work because of the tannins the water will become very dark, which many aquarists do not appreciate.

In order to lower the pH and still have crystal clear water the only option is to use RO or RO/DI water.

Hope this helps.
                    - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Well, I guess I have a bottle of something I'm not going to use...
                      It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                      As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I agree, def need to test the pH and do the aeration test to it. Might be all it needs to solve the problem.
                        -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                        If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                        Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Working...
                        X