This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering ph with driftwood

It's been a week since I put driftwood in my tank and the ph hasn't budged from 8.2; maybe I need more? Or did I bake and soak too much? Phooey!
    Robin
    55g, 10g, 5g
    55g and another 10g being planned.

Driftwood doesn't do much. I have two big pieces in the 55, a big and small piece in the 20, and medium pieces each in the 10 and 5.5. I can't judge the 55 anymore since it has CO2, but even before it did, the pH didn't really change at all.

Comment

From my understanding driftwood doesn't do much of anything to lowering pH.

Another way is to filter through Peat Moss.
      Christine

Comment

Is your driftwood manzinita wood? Everything I read on it says it lowers pH
        It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
        As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I have Mopani wood in my tanks. But I also do not need to lower my pH. It is very low as I have very little buffers.

Any wood that has not been boiled to obliteration will release tannins. Once boiled out its effect is negligible.
          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
          Socrates

Comment

I have no idea what this wood is. I bought it from Deep Sea Creations; they have a store about 20 min from me. They told me to soak it for day, then bake it on 225 for a couple of hours, and repeat the process until the water stopped being the color of tea. This was the option they gave since I didn't have a pot deep enough to boil. I put in my roasting pan; Paul thought I was baking a good dinner
            Robin
            55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Christine's suggestion is the method I have used in the past. It works very well.
              The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

So would I put peat moss in a media bag and stuff in the HOB? When I do get canisters where would it go? I really don't know Jack, or anybod else for that matter.
                Robin
                55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

To avoid having a mess I would add the peat moss to a media bag or to a knee high stocking. Pack as much as you can in the filter without restricting the water flow. In a canister I'd place it after the sponges to avoid debris being trapped by the moss.

Be warned that as the peat releases its tannins your tank will begin to look a light tea brown.
                  - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                  Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                  Socrates

Comment

I don't want to drop it much, but I'd like to have the option if I decide to keep something that doesn't like the high ph. My marimos don't appear to like it much, so I'm considering my plants too.
                    Robin
                    55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Working...
                    X