This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffering Advice Please

So I tested ph in my 55g and founf it to be down from normal for my tanks from about 7.2-.4 to about 6.6-.8. I then tested for kh and gh and got 1 for kh and 2 for gh. I think either the small amountof wood or maybe some rocks are lowering the ph in the tank because of the lack of buffering capacity.

If I am correct, I was thinking of using crushed coral as opposed to adding something to the water because I would rather have it be self regulating as opposed to having to put baking soda in after pwcs. I have never had to adjust hardness so any advice would be appreciated, I think a kh of around 2-3 would remedy this situation but I obviously don't want anything happening too abruptly. My tap tests 2 for kh as do my other tanks.

The reason for messing with it at all is I have snails in there and I also would really prefer for maintenance simplicity that my tanks and tap are similar in water parameters.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Re: Buffering Advice Please

A bag of crushed coral or aragonite in your filter would do the trick. For your snails, put in some zucchini once a week. Full of calcium.
    -Jonathan

Comment

Also, test your untreated tap. It may be possible that this is the cause. Something I deal with as my tap can be 2-3 kh one day then 0 the next water change.

Wood does not affect hardness. Make sure there is no debris rotting away. Decomposition can cause this.

Another cause, your snails or plants are using the hardness causing the ph to fluctuate.
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Is there a specific amount of coral I should use to keep things from changing too quickly? Nice! There's zuchinni in my tank quite frequently so they should be getting a good amount.

I did test my untreated tap and it was 2 kh, I thought the wood was lowering the ph because the kh was low not the wood lowering the kh. I guess I should inspect the wood and make sure it feels firm still and not rotting, I have been adding plants and a few snails recently so thats a good idea, thanks.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

the coral will be the best bet, put a handful in and see what it does after 12 hours or longer.
          -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
          If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
          Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
          Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Alright, I put a big handful in a media bag in the canister, I'll retest in a week and see where its at. At least it has nowhere to go but up.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I would think you should be able to see a measureable result before then.
              -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Just reread your post, I don't know where I got a week from 12 hours.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

As I said noticeable, not final. Do keep that in mind, for anything always wait 24 hours before doing a MINOR change in dose.
                  -Jim-

Comment

Well, 18 or so hours after the addition of the coral my kh is now 2. :horray: I hope it stays near that, ph is still 6.6ish, which I'm happy about for now, I was worried it would swing up too quickly.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

looks like a nice slow up turn to things. now just have to see how long it stays and how quickly it wants to drop so you know how often to replace the coral.
                      -Jim-

Comment

In your experience, generally how long is it good for? I thought it was the actual material dissolving that added to the hardness so does it just disentegrate eventually, thus signaling me to add more?

Kh is 2 this morning, ph is still the same.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I havent had to use it myself, I have always had the problem of higher pH and high Kh lol
                          -Jim-

Comment

Because the pH is low the acidic water is eating away the coral. This in turn releases calcium and carbonate, raising your hardness levels.

In order to stabilize the pH you should try to raise rhe KH to 3 or 4 degrees. This will help to minimize pH bounce with your water changes too.
                            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                            Socrates

Comment

Update, kh 2 gh 3 ph still 6.6ish. After the first day the coral brought the kh up to 2 and it hasn't changed since. At this point should I let it ride and keep checking or add more to the media bag to reach my desired 3-4 kh. I originaly used a big handful, maybe 1-2 cups.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                              X