• Show
Clear All

• Question: Help decipher what my readings mean

0 ppm Ammonia (Easy)
    0 ppm Nitrite (I know this)
    0 ppm Nitrate (Peace of cake)

7 Drops of Kh
    12 Drops of Gh...

Kh/Gh (have really no idea and what I'm suppose to be at for a Dirted Planted Tank)

Does anything need to be changed?

Id say your looking just fine really. The gh and kh are measures of hardness of the water.
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

KH and GH are the buffering agents, aka hardness. With both values over 4 drops your pH will be stable, even when using injected or DIY CO2.

In a planted tank, having no nitrate could be a problem. Then again, it may not. If the plants do not get enough nitrate it becomes a limiting factor. Personally I would start dosing nitrate enough to maintain at least a 5 PPM reading. Then, you'll know there is enough nitrate.
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

In some instances you will also see these buffering agents reffered to as alkalinity of the water. I tend to use the word more than most as I deal with it at work that way and in those terms.
        -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Originally posted by pirahnah3 View Post
          In some instances you will also see these buffering agents reffered to as alkalinity of the water. I tend to use the word more than most as I deal with it at work that way and in those terms.
          Also, why does everyone keep saying their tanks are cloudy when they're actually talking about turbidity
          __________________________________________________ _____
          Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
          110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

lol cloudy can be turbid but it could also be bacterial. Thats always a fun one to help people figure out first.
            -Jim-

Comment

Working...
            X