This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID these algaes please!

Not really a plant, but I couldn't find an algae subforum. If there is one, please feel free to move this!

The first one is in my 55 gallon tank.
    - 2x 54W T5HOs, on for 6 hours per day
    - Injected CO2, 2bps, turns on one hour before the lights turn on
    - GLA ferts. Roughly 1/16th tsp phosphate every other day (if I dose a large amount at once, it jumps up to 5ppm-ish), 1/4 tsp sulfate every other day, 1/4 tsp CSM+B every other day. Don't dose nitrates because the fish keep them around 10-20ppm.
    - Water change once weekly, probably a little over 50%.

The second one is in my 10 gallon tank.
    - Stock fluorescent bulbs, not sure of the type or wattage. Probably T8s. On for way too long (I turn them on before I leave because I don't have a timer for this tank. I know that'll probably be my first step!)
    - Flourish Comp, supposed to be every day, but probably more realistically every other day.
    - I've started dosing API CO2 Booster; again, I am for every other day but I forget sometimes. I started at the suggested dose, and if it's still suggested that I keep dosing, I'll do that for awhile then increase to 2x.

The one in the 55 kind of reminds me of staghorn algae because of its branched look. But according to Dena's algae thread, that's often caused by CO2 issues, which I would assume I don't have. It's possible that 2bps isn't enough, or that my tank is almost out (the gauge pressure won't reveal that, because there's always liquid CO2 in the bottom, and the gauge only reads the vapor pressure, so I'll only know it's empty once it's really empty. I'm hoping I can make it until spring break). I do sometimes turn on the CO2 late (the timer is kind of broken and turns the solenoid off, but won't turn it on. That's actually okay with me; it's kind of a cheap solenoid/regulator so when it initially turns on, it vomits CO2 for awhile before settling down. So I prefer to be around to monitor it), so that may be contributing.

As for the algae in the 10, it looks kind of like a hair algae, but besides that I'm not sure. The lights are not very bright at all; even with them being on for a very long time, the wisteria has barely grown.

I forgot to mention, I have a BN pleco in the 55 and nerites and MTS in the 10, and none of them are interested in either type of algae.

If you have any ideas as to what they are, or how to remedy the situation, please let me know! Thank you

Edit: If you need better pictures, let me know; I just happened to already have these on my computer.
    Attached Files

The second picture looks like Staghorn Algae, the first one looks like a pretty Algae.

Spot treat with excel

Comment

2nd pic dose look like Staghorn. Not sure what the first pic is though. I don't have my own experience with algaes except BBA. I am very diligent on the upkeep of my 55g. You want to make sure the CO2 is at optimal levels for the amount of light you have. How old are your light tubes? Do you get a 1 full degree in pH drop? But down to it is that you have an imbalance in lighting, co2 and fertilizers. I believe the appearance of Staghorn can be an under fertilizing issue as well. It's just figuring out what it is.
      Christine

Comment

Wait, the second picture is staghorn? The brown stuff? That's weird I forgot to mention, the green stuff in the first picture grows on the rocks and driftwood, that's just a chunk that let loose and got stuck to a plant.

My bulbs aren't that old, but they probably are over six months, which I think is when you're supposed to change them. However due to my meager starving-college-student budget, replacing them every 6 months is definitely not an option. Plus they're only on 5 or 6 hours per day, which means they must take longer to go bad than someone who has theirs on 8-10 hours per day

As for the pH, I'll have to recheck; before I had roughly 1 degree drop but now it seems like the pH in my tap dropped? Long story short the pH in another tank was similar to that in my 55, which caused me to check the tap, and see that it had dropped. Like a lot. Weird. I'll check again, I guess I might have to up the dose? I'm guessing that the tank is probably getting empty too.

Comment

It looks like different forms of hair algae. The first one is definitely staghorn.

Check the pH of untreated water after it has sat for a day or two. The tank with CO2 injection should be 1 degree lower. If you start with 7.2 pH, then your goal in the tank would be 6.2 to have enough CO2 present.

You can spot treat areas with Excel or hydrogen peroxide. If opting to use peroxide, dose no more than 2 ml per gallon. To spot treat, shut down the water current. No filters, no air, nothing. Then, wait about 30 minutes after dosing and restart the current.

T5HO lights should be replaced ever 18 - 24 month. So, you are good there. But, what are the color temps of each tube? If lower than 5,000K then this would be another factor.

Here's the link to the Staghorn Algae page: http://www.everythingaquatic.net/art...e/staghorn.htm. I haven't gotten it converted as yet, but the info should help you out.
          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
          Socrates

Comment

I can never remember what kinds of bulbs they are, but it's the same fixture Matt has, so I'll send him a message. I think they're both 6000K.

Good to know that the bulbs are good for up to two years!

I'll set some tapwater out for 24 hours and test it. When I test the tank's pH, is it best to test right before the lights go out, when the CO2 concentration would be greatest? Do I need to let the tank water sit for a day or two as well?

Comment

Best to test just before lights on, but any time could suffice. Test tank pH immediately as you want to test with the CO2 still in suspension.
              - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

That makes sense, thank you. Matt confirmed that the bulbs are both 6500K, is that alright?

Comment

Yes, those bulbs are good. So, there is an imbalance with ferts and/or CO2 levels. Your tank doesn't get direct sunlight or sit near a window does it? That would also be a factor.

I have to look to see if we have an algae forum or not. Thought I'd created one when we first started. But maybe all I did was think about it?!?
                  - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

There is indirect sunlight that in that room. The blinds are closed, so it's very minimal, and only the front half (long-ways) of the tank is exposed (the back half is blocked by the fireplace).

I'll do the pH test first; I'm afraid it's that the tank is running low because I've had it for quite awhile.

Edit: I could have just totally missed the algea forum, too

Comment

Naw, the forum was missing. So, I've created one and am moving this thread into it.
                      - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Oh, look we have an Algae Forum now! Yah!! Never noticed it was missing.
                          Christine

Comment

Hey now, some of us have algae problems to deal with

Comment

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
                              Hey now, some of us have algae problems to deal with
                              Christine

Comment

Working...
                              X