This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cyano wont die

I'm starting to see why cyano can chase people out of the hobby.....it will not die!
    here's what ive got and what ive tried....id love a new idea on this one

29g 6 pea puffers, 6 kuhli loaches. 80*, 7.2, 36" (hangs over on one side) ho t5 with 2 bulbs
    Wysteria, purple cambra, spirallis, crypto parva, and a red lotus
    current fert sfhedual: 5 ml excel every morning
    2.5 ml flourish comp 2 times a week
    5ml potassium once a week
    1-2ml nitrogen after wc to bring level to 5ppm

Been an issue since nov and a heat treatment for ich

Ive removed over half my plants trying to kill this stuff. Its killing off what's left of my wysteria and cambra.

Ive been removing everything from the tank 2 times of week to strip clean, soaking ornaments in hydrogen peroxide. Physically removing every scrap I can with tge net or the siphon.

I'm considering the erythromyacin, I want my plants back. If I do use it I'm going to remove most of my media while I treat (try and protect what I can of my cycle).

What else can I do? I'm over the excessive wc system, its just not working.
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

How about a 3 day blackout?

Comment

Did a 4 day in janurary without much improvement.
      Ive resorted to removing anything with cyano trying to get the colony out. My plants are really suffering from the excess pruning as well as the continually regrowing film over their leaves. Ive even been pulling out gravel the last two weeks
      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Cyano can be a nightmare. One of its triggers is low nitrogen. You mentioned adding nitrogen after a water change to reach 5 ppm. But what is the level at before the water change? If it is being consumed and no nitrate exists you will need multiple doses throughout the week. Maintain at least 5 ppm at all times. Cyano hates it. Maybe even try spot treating with the amount of nitrogen to see if that might help.

Another thing you might want to try is spot treating Excel or hydrogen peroxide.

It will be a rough battle until you can figure out what needs balancing. Keep us posted.

FYI - If you can get a clear picture of the cyano I can include it with the algae articles we are working on.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

Give it 4 days to grow back, I'm working on my biweekly algae stripping. I can get cyano on gravel, plants and driftwood pics then

It hasn't been dropping from the 5ppm of nitrate, butbi need to adjust the 15g of water I'm changing 2 times a week. My tank was at 0ppm nitrate until I started adding it. Can I go higher to hopefully kill off the cyano? I don't want to hurt my puffers, they like the clean water.

It us growing back way slower than it dud before the nitrate addition. I really want to just wipe it out and see if my fert balance is working without a growing colony. I'm really considering meds at thus point

So here's my potential erythromyacin plan.....lets pick it apart before I try anything.
          2 hob filters....gonna pull all the media from one and half from the other, place in tank water safe from meds. Ive read 2 days with a dose tends to wipe out the cyano, and maybe the BB. if I don't feed the puffers or the kuhlis for the 48 treatment, and watch fir ammonia like a hawk, what else do I need to worry about?

Comment

I can research tonight, but I believe the treatment plan is half dose of erythro.
            - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

I wish you luck in defeating this nasty algae I have no input I'm sorry fortunately I've not had this problem so far I would however like to know more about your puffers which is probably for another thread which I will start once I am ready to start a puffer tank for Oliver
              Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

You know what LOVES cyano?

Mystery snails.

Comment

If only I could go that route! I love my mystery snail, violet. My puffers would kill it. They love snail, no matter how big

Comment

If using erythro you do dose at half strength to kill cyanobacteria. That's good to know Akari! A good use for mystery snails!
                    - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

It's weird right?? Otherwise they really are basically useless LOL

Comment

So even with only one bulb on my t5, religiously dosing ferts, I'm still getting the cyano to grow back in days. I just don't get it.

I think I'm goingbto try a 3 day erithro treatment at half strength, pulling most of my filter media. The erithro instructions want a 25% wc each day of use, so I'm goingvto double up on prime for the tank to avoid any ammonia spikes. Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Comment

What are your nitrate levels? Sounds like they are being quickly depleted.
                          - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Consistant 5ppm, they're not depleting even with the cyano growth. I only add nitrate to keep wc from lowing level

Comment

And the erythro worked great! 4 day treat Kent at recommended dose (tried 1/2 dose for 2 days, didn't see much result. Increased to full dose for 4 additional days). I pulled half my media, put it in a jar of tank water. Check ammo everyday, but no spike at all. Did 2 50% wc to remove most of the meds, added carbon to finish it off.
                              Its been a week and no grow back at all! My plants are actually growing again
                              Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 04-08-2013, 06:43 PM. Reason: fixed spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X