This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Algae (first timer)

First of all... thanks for the help yesterday. My thread got moved for duplicate content because I copy/pasted it to ask on FL the same questions. I just wanted to basically say THANK YOU to everyone that gave me advice. Hopefully armed with it I can conquer the demon :P

Last night I took a clean (no soap) cloth and just wiped the inside of the tank to get a majority of it off. Going to try the combination of the following:

Keep lights on for 9 hrs per day (open to decreasing this but hesitant to mess with a timer I JUST set up lol)
    Purchase Dry Ferts
    Purchase CO2 Counter
    Marimo moss ball (anecdotal evidence but I'm game to try it!)

If there is some piece of advice I'm missing (I can't access my original thread and FL is down again so I might be forgetting something, I have no reference besides my memory) please feel free to add to this list!
    Gingerone's Tanks:
    55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
    20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
    Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

I believe you have green spot algae, if I remember correctly. One of the most common triggers is low phosphates. Not sure what you have in the way of ferts now, but if you have a phosphate product I would increase its dosage.

Putting the lights on a timer will help too. But you may find you need to reduce the lighting down to 6 hours until you get the dry ferts.

You mentioned purchasing a bubble counter. If I remember correctly you have a DIY setup. Most bubble counters need the higher pressure of an injected system to work.

What purpose do you want a bubble counter? If to know how many bubbles are generated in a DIY system. Then go DIY and add a bottle of water in the line. If to measure how much CO2 is absorbed in the tank all you need is a pH test kit. Drop checkers are often recommended, but they don't help all that much IME.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by catsma_97504 View Post
      You mentioned purchasing a bubble counter. If I remember correctly you have a DIY setup. Most bubble counters need the higher pressure of an injected system to work.

What purpose do you want a bubble counter? If to know how many bubbles are generated in a DIY system. Then go DIY and add a bottle of water in the line. If to measure how much CO2 is absorbed in the tank all you need is a pH test kit. Drop checkers are often recommended, but they don't help all that much IME.
      OHHHH. Thanks for the explanation!
      Gingerone's Tanks:
      55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
      20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
      Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

Comment

Working...
      X