This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this cyano?

Awhile ago I noticed some bright green stuff on a crypt leaf in my 10 gallon betta tank. I went to rub it off during a water change and was surprised to see the whole thing slide off in one sheet! If I remember, it didn't smell so great either (but I may be making that up).

Looking in the tank this evening and I see that a leaf is 100% covered in the stuff. Any thoughts? It's more vibrant green than it seems in the picture.

Thanks for your info!
    Attached Files

im sorry, but it looks an aweful lots like the cyano i just battled. are those bubbles trapped under a sheet of green film (like the plant was pearling and the o2 just didnt go anywhere)?
    thats what it did in my puffer tank as it started its population explosion.
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Well...never had that... don't think I want it either lol
      It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
      As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Heather...they...look like bubbles D: Blast! But if it all comes out in a sheet anyway, can't I just remove the sheet and be done? I guess not, since that didn't work last time. I really don't want to put poor Boris in the dark for three days

Comment

Here's a link to the cyano writeup I did. It isn't linked anywhere until I can get it converted into the new format, but it might help you out....

http://www.everythingaquatic.net/art...nobacteria.htm
          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
          Socrates

Comment

Move quick!!!! Manueally remove any you see! If you stay on top of it, and change the imbalance causing it you can beat it. Have a net or siphon to remove as you wipe it off plants, etc. Mine got into tge gravel and I had to medicate the tank to get ahead of it. I'm hoping that I balanced out the cause (low nitrate and too much light in my case)

Good luck!
            36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

I think it may be low nitrates for me too. There's only a betta in there; there used to be an MTS colony but for some reason most of them seem to have died off - I think it's because I feed the betta pellet-by-pellet, and stopped putting in algae wafers/shrimp pellets because Boris would eat them and look like he swallowed a grape. (I heard most people don't feed their MTS anyway.) So if I'm past the main die-off (IE no more ammonia -> nitrate being produced) I imagine since the bioload is so low and there are so many plants, that there can't be much in the way of nitrates. (I suppose I could just test I just did a water change the other day though so I'll wait until right before the next change.)

I dose Flourish but from CJ's experience it seems that there's actually very little nitrate in there. I do have the dry ferts from GLA and have a big bag of nitrates (I wasn't dosing for awhile), but I wouldn't know how much to add. I already only add 1/8th tsp every other day to the 55 gallon. Maybe mix some with water and dose some of that?

Dena thank you for the link! If you have any ideas about what concentration of nitrate solution (powder mixed with water) I should use, let me know.

I ended up removing the entire leaf down at the base, and the cyano only appeared to be on the leaf part (not the stem) so I'm sure I got most of it (can't guarantee a few particles didn't float away, though I tried to remove it gently). I'll definitely keep an eye on it! Fortunately the BBA (or whatever it was) seems to have gone, for some reason.

Comment

Update: Any time I've seen an infected leaf, I've always very carefully removed the entire leaf. Saw a bit on the sand during the last water change and vacuumed it up. I keep hoping that if I remove all traces of it it'll be fine, but I keep finding more. I can't keep removing leaves, there are only a few left on one of the crypts. I think I may have to do a blackout I really don't want to though.

Comment

UV Sterilizer!

~Anthony

Comment

LOL for a 10 gallon tank?? The bulb burnt out on the UV sterilizer in my 55 gallon's canister I need to replace it.

Comment

Sure they make them in 9watt so why not... UV sterilizer are not suppose to e used constantly so put one in for a few days then take it out...

~Anthony

Comment

Hmm interesting...I'll have to look into that...though it's not as cheap as the blackout method

Comment

Nope BUT also fights more than just Cyano... I paid 56 dollars for my 24watt green killing machine online through a PETCO online sale

~Anthony

Comment

Mmm this is true. Maybe if I get an internship this summer Though the only fish in there is a betta, so not too much risk of ich or anything.

Comment

Well the fact it fights other forms of algae you could just put it in your larger tank... I leave mine in and turn the UV Lamp on every month for 3-4 days... then unplug the UV still leaving the power head on... its only 100 gph but enough to add more to the current flow

~Anthony

Comment

Working...
                              X