This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid algae!

I'm so sick of the algae in my 50 gallon, I think I might die!

The BBA, whatever. It chills on the edges of the plants, and I seem to at least have it at bay, and its not spreading. I've grown rather fond of it, actually. Like a pest snail you just can't kill, and eventually you stop trying and maybe even give it a name.

But this green spot algae! IT'S EVERYWHERE. All over my glass. I can't stand it! I can not feed the plecos for a week, and they still won't touch the stuff. The goldfish don't bother it, either. They'd rather have their pellets.

This is my light: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=300882068612

I dose just under 5mL's of Flourish Comp and API CO2 Booster daily. Its set to 11 am to 11 pm, with an hour break around 7. Water changes weekly or biweekly, usually around 15%, since the plants keep everything pretty well in check. Obviously they are larger if I skip I week.

Thoughts on anything I should change, what eats this stuff, etc?

I had horrible algae in my 75G tank and I started doing my lights 4 hours on, 2-1/2 hour break, 4 hours on. It seems to have helped a lot. It is now at a level that the pleco and snails can keep it under control.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Might try that... My plecos would rather starve or eat my plants than actually do their job. Thats what I get for feeding them LOL

Comment

Do you know your phosphate level?
        Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

No. No one tests for it around here. Not even the city. I *can* tell you our water comes from the bottom of a nasty river, though.... <.<

Comment

Usually spot algae is from a phosphorus deficiency, some frequent water changes will usually get it under control quickly.
            -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
            If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
            Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

BBA = Not enough CO2
              GSA = Not enough PO4

Cut your lighting in half to reduce the demand on nutrients. I know many use the split photo period; however there is no difference to running a single photo period per day. The choice is yours, but hold the total light to 8 hours or less.

Purchase a phosphate product. Comprehensive does not contain enough. You cannot assume your water has phosphates. As it is a regulated compound (at least it is in Oregon) I would expect the water company to test at least once a year.

The only thing that might nibble at GSA is shrimp. But you'd need a huge army to have any chance of removal. Plecos will not touch it. They prefer the brown algaes.
              - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
              Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
              Socrates

Comment

I can definitely vouch that my BN doesn't touch the GSA. I have injected CO2 and dose phosphates and I still can't get rid of it! I feel your pain

Comment

I do the split because I'm not home durring the time the lights are off, so why have them on and make any algae problems worse lol It's supposedly also supposed to help photosynthesis by having the lights off half way through the photoperiod. Don't know how much truth there is to that, though.

Ill see if the city does test for phosphates. What products would you guys reccomend?

Comment

For dosing, or testing? I use the API test and the phosphate in the GLA kit to dose.

Comment

Dosing. I'll let the city do the testing

Comment

If you want to stick with Fluorish, you could purchase their Phosphate component. Or, you could purchase KH2PO4. Orlando is somewhere in Florida. Maybe GLA is close to you?
                        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Yes, "Orlando is somewhere in Florida" but it's nowhere near where I'm at LOL I was there at the Taylor Swift concert yesterday anyways.... Lol

I don't mind sticking with flourish or moving beyond it. As long as its cost effective. No idea what GLA is lol

Comment

LOL The guy's name is Orlando, not the city

GLA is Green Leaf Aquatics, Orlando is the guy in charge (I believe, I know he's important over there at least lol).

Comment

Orlando is the owner and is very knowledgeable.
                              - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Working...
                              X